Dup “Prep Scrub”

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - my son loves this product “prep scrub” by Dollar Shave Club. He says it looks like St Ives Apricot scrub but with more scrubbies. Hoping to get some help and suggestions…
Here’s what it says about it and the ingredients:
Feel like you’re not quite getting a smooth enough shave? Start your routine with Prep Scrub. It’s formulated to lift hair up straight while exfoliating dead skin cells, giving your razor easy access to the base of your whiskers.
Lifts hair for a close shave
Exfoliates dead skin cells for close blade access
Helps prevent razor clogging
Helps release and prevent ingrown hairs
Helps improve skin feel and complexion
Makes the blade feel so close to your skin, they should get a room
Ingredients
Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Glyceryl Stearate, Juglans Regia (Walnut) Shell Powder, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Coconut Acid, Jojoba Esters, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Amber Powder, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Glycol Distearate, Ceteareth-20, Xylitylglucoside, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Anhydroxylitol, Xylitol, Sodium Hydroxide, Glucose, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum).

Sounds like a foaming bath base with walnut shell powder + extra ingredients that may or may not add to the actual product performance.
I would strip out anything from the ingredient list that isn't related to the foaming bath base part of the recipe, and then decide from there which ingredients you want to consider trying. You can purchase foaming bath base from many of the reputable suppliers, or there are many recipes available for free or purchase on the internet.

My guess for which ingredients are the foaming bath base based on the recipe I use:
Water/Aqua/Eau
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
Glycerin (although more glycerin can also be added to a premade base)
Stearic Acid
Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate
Glyceryl Stearate
Cetyl Alcohol
Cetearyl Alcohol
Glycol Distearate
Ceteareth-20
Disodium EDTA
Sodium Benzoate
Potassium Sorbate
Phenoxyethanol

Some of these I'm assuming are part of the preservative system. I'm not super knowledgeable about every single ingredient used in commercial products - one of the reasons I went down the DIY path to begin with as I find my skin responds better to a simplified ingredient list. (Also consider most of us DIY-ers are not formulating for 5 year shelf life...) As a life long fan of the St. Ives scrub, I found that using apricot seed powder with foaming bath base works even better. (and when it comes to adding scrubby to bath base, less is more)

Thank you both so much! I’ll pick up that on Etsy asap. 🥰
As for the scent, I had him smell 7000 FOs (might be a slight exaggeration LOL) yesterday and he said he really wants a dup of Dirty English by Juicy Couture. Has anyone found this, or have a suggestion on something close?
Scent Notes
Top Notes: Caraway, Mandarin, Bergamot, Cardamom, Cypress
Middle Notes: Black Leather, Marjoram, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedarwood
Base Notes: Amber, Musk, Oud, Ebony, Moss

Latest posts

Back