dumb thing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandler Trev

Reaction score
I made a base vegetable oil soap (CP) with peppermint and rosemary EOs. The color was unappealing to me so I hand milled it and added ----ground rosemary and green-tea infusion. When melting the soap, my crock pot proved to be to warm so I had some brown bits in it. I decided to leave them in as it added intrest to the soap texture.

Out of the mold and cut it was beautiiful to me. The overmelted bits looked great, as did the speckles of rosemary. It smelled wonderful.

The mortar and pestle ground rosemary turned the soap into a very nice smelling wonerfully colored self soaping scour pad. Not nice on skin at all! Perhaps I should provide a soft wash cloth with each bar and a stern warning :( :oops:

Perhaps I could market the soap as a foot soap for really calloused skin!

Anybody else do this........or am I just out there ....alone.....

IMG_0893.jpg

oh, you aren't the only one to learn the hard way that rosemary is SHARP!!! and that's all I'm sayin...

It sure is pretty! I was going to do this a few weeks back but was warned against it and I listened to these ladies. I just put my rosemary in some warm olive oil and infused it for a few days in it.

Here is MY Rosemary soap... You wanna talk SCRUBBY!!!? :shock:
DSCF0749.jpg

I called it a gardener's soap. Also for use in the kitchen or garage to scrub off mud and tough stains. DEFINITELY not for the shower.

ETA: Could also be used in the craft room to sand down rough edges on your wood projects :wink:

Goodness, I am so glad I read this! I was going to add rosemary to a batch for my brothers . . . they hate scratchy stuff! I'll be filtering my infused oil with a coffee filter ;)

Hi there team:

I have a similar story to tell. I ground South African Redbush Masala Chai and put it in a batch. This ground chai was used in my first batch of expensive oils. I had to rebrand it as a "Gardeners" soap also. It was so sharp on the hands. The only other way it could be used is with one of those plastic bath scrubbies (where it doesn't need to touch the skin).

Lessons Learned: Make tea first and let the tea (at least this type of tea) soak in water to soften the leaves and spices.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hadn't used rosemary yet, but have been offered rosemary from a neighbour to make soap. I have read that rosemary is good for hair.

Have a lovely weekend,

April

I feel I should qualify my previous post and say that even though mine was extremely scrubby... I like it very much and it was pretty much what I intended.

I also had a similar experience with red tea soap. I've found people have very different preferences for exfoliants. Some people don't like any and some can't get enough. My brother said my red tea soap was "scratchy... but in a good way". Another friend said he wanted me to make a "half and half" bar with the red tea on one side and the same recipe minus the tea leaves on the other side... so he could scrub with one side and lather with the other.

My sister in law used my kitchen coffee grounds soap in the shower and was very sad when it was finally gone.

So adding these ingredients isn't neccesarily a bad thing.

Back