Dumb Q. about infusing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonsong86

Reaction score
If I melt down coconut, palm, & olive oils, and infuse the mix with dried peppermint leaves, can I just let it cool with the leaves still in there and use it "as is" the following week, or do I need to strain the leaves out later? Also, how do I know how much dried peppermint I need? ( I'd be making a 2lb batch. ) Is it better to infuse just the olive oil instead of all 3 oils?

Secondary question: I've recently heard people talking about colloidal oatmeal. Is this different than regular oats from the grocery store? Oats in general for soaping must be ground, and not instant oats, correct?

Thinking about lumping 3 things, all untried by me, together in one soap, and doing a milk soap with peppermint infused oils and oatmeal additive. Is that too many things for one soap? lol

Thanks for any & all answers! :)

I can comment on just the infusion....

I usually just infuse the soft oils - so you would infuse the peppermint leaves in the olive oil in a jar for at least a week - shake 2-3 times a day. Then strain out the leaves and measure out the proper amount of olive oil. Please post your results - I have never infused peppermint. I think the three elements you are suggesting will be unique and decadent.

Sounds like delicious soap!
With the oatmeal, it depends on what you are wanting it to do. Colloidal oatmeal is regular oats, but ground REALLY fine so it forms a milky suspension in water, so you can soak in it without all the goodness making a gloopy mess at the bottom of the bath. Colloidal oats would make a very smooth oatmeal soap, which would be lovely and gentle for irritated/sensitive skin. On the other hand if you want the oats to have more of a textural/exfoliating effect you'll want them more coarsely ground.
I usually just grind plain old rolled oats in a coffee grinder, pass it through a fine sieve, and toss it in at trace.
Good luck!

Back