Dry chunks on side of crock pot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first few times I made hot process soap, this didn't happen. The last couple of times I've made it though, dry soap from the side of the crock pot gets stirred in to the rest of it and leaves dry looking, whitish chunks in my finished soap. Why is this happening? :?:Thank you in advance!

Try cooking on a lower temp and don't over stir. Once it hits trace, you only need to stir once or twice while it cooks. If I end up with dry soap on the sides, I try and not mix it into the main batter. I'll scrap it off the sides during clean up and make a soap ball.

Try cooking on a lower temp and don't over stir. Once it hits trace, you only need to stir once or twice while it cooks. If I end up with dry soap on the sides, I try and not mix it into the main batter. I'll scrap it off the sides during clean up and make a soap ball.
I used the low setting on the crock pot, but I'll try your suggestion about not stirring so much. I stirred it much more than what you've said I should. Thanks!

I never stir mine until after it has gone through the full gel process. Overcooking will also cause the soap to dry out more especially on the sides. As Obsidian stated cook on low temp and just let your soap fold in on itself while it is gelling. I also make soap balls if I have leftover batter on the sides

When I HP, I have learned to not stir, and to leave the dry chunks behind. Once I have the batter glopped into the mold, the dry chunks get rolled into a ball that I can use first when I get impatient about curing - learned that from Carolyn probably.

Latest posts

Back