dried milk into batter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mix GM powder with melted Shea butter and add it at trace. Works great for me.

Haven't read all the replies so maybe its been pointed out.. but after my lye water cools and right before adding to the oils, I add my powdered milk and I actually stick blend it. Yeah I know.. likely a big no no but I put a towel over and around the stick and blend, then check it and keep going.
Never any clumps.

also I do as much as it takes to make a normal cup of the milk per the instructions.. so if it says use 1/2 cup for 8 oz water and I had 12 oz water for my recipe, then I'd add 3/4 cup of powder.

Last edited:
i always mix the powdered milk with water first, and then add it to my oils before the lye. this is the best method that works for me.

I mix all powdered milk (cow, buttermilk, or goats) with about 2oz-3oz of water, blend it into a smooth paste and add it trace. Yes, I reduce the lye water by the 2oz-3oz. Hasn't failed me yet. (Knock on wood!)

How much powdered milk do you all add ppo? I have some powdered cow's milk and I'm considering trying some in my soap.

How much powdered milk do you all add ppo? I have some powdered cow's milk and I'm considering trying some in my soap.

I usually add enough powder to equal full milk content. I mix my lye with 1/2 my water and then mix the powdered milk into the other half and add that to my oils an blend well. Then add the lye mixture when ready.

I usually add enough powder to equal full milk content. I mix my lye with 1/2 my water and then mix the powdered milk into the other half and add that to my oils an blend well. Then add the lye mixture when ready.

Let me see if I'm following you...you use half your water, set aside, to mix your powdered milk into? So, do you just follow the directions on the packaging to find out how much powder and water to mix to reconstitute it?

Let me see if I'm following you...you use half your water, set aside, to mix your powdered milk into? So, do you just follow the directions on the packaging to find out how much powder and water to mix to reconstitute it?

yes, I just follow the directions on the package for the most part. You are correct. I use enough water to dilute the powder the remainder for the lye. It works great.

I don't like the frozen GM mixed with lye method

I've frozen fresh goat's milk into cubes (using the amount of liquid called to mix with the lye) and poured the lye over top to make a slushy method. Unfortunately, in the beginning, I had to throw out a couple of batches of soap because I didn't strain it before pouring it into the oils. There were undissolved lye crystals in there that were present in the end soap product. Did the zap test and "ow". Yup, ruined soap.

If you make GM into cubes to mix with lye, be sure to strain the mixture before adding it to the oils. However, it is very difficult to squish the slushy mixture through a fine strainer. That's why I'm looking at using GM powder and seeing what everyone recommends when to add it.

I've frozen fresh goat's milk into cubes (using the amount of liquid called to mix with the lye) and poured the lye over top to make a slushy method. Unfortunately, in the beginning, I had to throw out a couple of batches of soap because I didn't strain it before pouring it into the oils. There were undissolved lye crystals in there that were present in the end soap product. Did the zap test and "ow". Yup, ruined soap.

If you make GM into cubes to mix with lye, be sure to strain the mixture before adding it to the oils. However, it is very difficult to squish the slushy mixture through a fine strainer. That's why I'm looking at using GM powder and seeing what everyone recommends when to add it.

Most of us do/or tried the frozen milk thing. However, this discussion is regarding using the powdered milk in place of fresh/frozen milks. I do the 50/50 split with water for my lye and then use the other 50% as my milk of choice and I add powdered to that to equal full milk in my batch. I add this to my oils and stick blend well and then add my lye mixture.

Works like a gem for me.

Has anyone heard that powdered goats milk is only good for a few months? I purchased some last year, and haven't used it yet. How do I know if it's still good?

Latest posts

Back