Double Lavender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my second attempt at an ombre soap and really wanted to use a purple colorant. I used Mad micas I dream of purple and Nutures soap winter white. The winter white is really easy to predisperse in oil and not get white spots. For the fragrance oil I used BB Lavender 40/42 essential oil.

I was going for more of a seamless look but this is much better than the first go and still pretty.

20240122_191427.jpg

I started with a third of colored batter in one container and 2/3rd of white in another. I poured the colored first then mixed some white into the purple soap portion and poured again until all the white was gone, layer by layer while the soap mold was tilted up at an angle.

What's the best way to get more of a suble ombre look where the layers are seamless?

This is so pretty! The only trick I know about gradients is that you have to be reaaaaallllly patient and add just the smallest bit of the other color and go line by line. I saw someone that said it took them an hour to pour their gradient, and it looked pretty smooth but wowza that's a long time.

This is a beautiful ombré. I posted a photo in the soapy thing thread sometime around New Year’s Eve. The best advice I can give for a seamless ombré is to know you will be at it for awhile and be patient. I am traveling for a couple of weeks and can’t check my notes, but I am sure I used lard and olive oil and started pouring at emulsion. I counted 1-2-3 to keep my addition of colored batter to white consistent, and probably didn’t add more than a tablespoon at a time (if even that much). I then made two passes each direction along the long side of the mold. You really can’t see much, if any, difference in color between pours. It’s picky and time consuming, but really satisfying when it works. I think I also put the photo in my media album if you can’t find it in the soapy thing thread.

Thank you for your responses. I didn't realize how little white to add but that makes more sense for that seamless look.

What was I doing on both batches was pouring way too much at a time. I'm going to attempt this again with another soap in a week or two and repost.

Dibbles, I checked out your media posts and your soaps are so beautiful. Hope I'm half as good as you are.

Latest posts

Back