DOS? :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdranch

Reaction score
I am sad! Something funky is going on with my soap! It was the first time I soaped with the fo (Lovespell). It has been curing in the closet for 3 weeks...

Is this DOS? If not, what is it? What can I do to prevent this? What causes this?

I am so bummed!

Thanks for any replies...

dos2.jpg

Nope, not DOS.

Did you CP? Did you add the FO at trace or to the oils before the lye? Did you add anything besides the FO, like honey or something?

When I see the pic, I thought honey, then beeswax.... then maybe even milk... then maybe something wasn't stirred in right.. judging by picture alone, I think it's fine and pretty, too :)

Healinya said:
When I see the pic, I thought honey, then beeswax.... then maybe even milk... then maybe something wasn't stirred in right.. judging by picture alone, I think it's fine and pretty, too :)

looks like honey to me too, or maybe beeswax, but mostly like honey...

Thanks for the replies.

This is a new recipe that I have made about 5 times (with a different scent). This is the first time I have got spots- also the first time I used Lovespell.

It is cp. I added the fo to the oils. I added a teaspoon of sugar too- but have done that with the others.

I need to do the zap test...but it is Christmas Eve and I would hate the zap to mess with my eating Christmas cookies. :) Do you think it could be lye?

when you add the sugar, how do you add the sugar? I'm asking because it may be clumps of carmelized sugar.

sugar should be disolved completlyin the water before adding the lye.

xraygrl said:
when you add the sugar, how do you add the sugar? I'm asking because it may be clumps of carmelized sugar.

sugar should be disolved completlyin the water before adding the lye.

I added the sugar to the milk/ lye solution (I forgot to say I use goat milk, sorry). I have done it in the other batches without a problem. I add the sugar after I let the milk and lye cool, just before I mix everything together.

The spots didn't show up immediately. They were not there the first week. It has been a busy week so I didn't notice them until today.

I think it's the sugar - it's not DOS. DOS doesn't look like that. and it's really too soon anyway.

carebear said:
I think it's the sugar - it's not DOS. DOS doesn't look like that. and it's really too soon anyway.

Thanks for the reply. If it is the sugar, what am I doing (or not doing) to make these spots? This is the first time I've seen them. The fo was different but everything else the same. Is it still usable?

Also, I can't find a picture of DOS, do you have link for one?

Merry Christmas! :)

carebear said:

let us know what ingredients you used, that will really help with the diagnosis -- without that we're shooting in the dark!

paillo said:
carebear said:

let us know what ingredients you used, that will really help with the diagnosis -- without that we're shooting in the dark!

oo, co, po, castor, shea, 1 teaspoon sugar, fo (Lovespell), lye, goat milk

I had one of my soaps do this, too. I think it was the FO I used as it was a beer recipe, not milk. The FO was the only thing I used that was different. Too bad, because otherwise it smells and looks lovely!

I did the zap test and didn't get zapped. I *thought* I mixed really good but will pay close attention next time.

Thanks for the replies :)

Back