DOS question pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elly

Reaction score
A 4 months old soap has developed a few spots that looks very much like DOS but there is no rancid smell in the soap, I have only experienced DOS once before when I used to make soap with sunflower oil but the soap really reeked of rancidity, I was wondering if it is possible to get DOS without the smell, or is it that the smell will come later?? just curious as I don't want to give away a soap that is going to smell funky later on. Apart from a couple of spots in the entire batch the soap looks and smells good. Any thoughts??
Sorry photo is blurry, couldn't take better picture still learning.

picture157a.jpg

I had spots like that on soap that didn't smell bad at all. I deduced that I'd put the soap directly on a metal rack before I knew not to do that. :wink:

What oils are in there Elly?

Oh I had a castile soap recently (made with light olive oil) that went rancid (stinky) but no DOS. No more light olive oil for me as the soap was only about 6 months old. Lots of it. :cry:

Yes it's DOS. maybe no smell because it's not too far gone. Scoop put the spots and save it foryourself, but don't store with other soaps.

Carebear thanks for confirming DOS and for the advice to keep them separately I had them stored with other soaps. Bummer I hate it, I loose all my confidence in my soaping skills when this happens :cry:

Jenny I didn't know that light OO would be more prone to DOS, thanks for the info, I've heard that pomace OO has a longer shelf life, I've never tried castille soap for fear of DOS but I see so many soapers successfully making castille soaps ... what is their secret for not getting DOS?

the oils that I used were: Almond 10%, castor 5%, cocoa butter 5%,
CO 15%, PO 35%, OO 30%. soap batch was left to cure in my laundry uncovered on a wooden tray but I am afraid that the soap was exposed to too much sunlight 8)

Bubbles Galore said:
I had spots like that on soap that didn't smell bad at all. I deduced that I'd put the soap directly on a metal rack before I knew not to do that. :wink:

What oils are in there Elly?

Oh I had a castile soap recently (made with light olive oil) that went rancid (stinky) but no DOS. No more light olive oil for me as the soap was only about 6 months old. Lots of it. :cry:
I've always used the light olive oil with no dos or rancidity. Except one batch that was over two yrs old. Hmmm...may have to rethink that, thanx.

cannot see a reason to use light OO oil (or not to). i soaped it side by side with regular and with pomace. the light and regular came out identical by the time they'd cured a few weeks - and the pomace a bit "taupe".

"light" refers to the flavor, btw. go figure.

Back