Don’t Like The Scent of my Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliBx

Reaction score
So I made this soap and I don’t know if I really like the scent of it. As a matter fact, it makes me gag Just thinking about it.

We used an ingredient that calls for frankincense essential oil. However, I also used coffee grounds as an exfoliation factor for the Soap.

I had friends and family smell the soap and they thought it smelled fine. But when I smell it, I feel like gagging. So with that said, what should I do with this Soap.? Should I just send it to friends and family because there’s no way that I’m giving this soap to anyone. It does not smell great.

Any suggestions?

I buy all my fragrances online and everytime I will always get one scent that smells stinky.

Sometimes I find the scent mellows post cure. Sometimes my husband will like it so he uses it. Sometimes I give them away. Sometimes I just leave them out in the open so the scent gradually fades. Or I store it in a box with other scented soaps and the smell kinda dissipates in to one not so terrible scent.

Yeah! I'm trying everything to get used to the scent, but the gagging continues. I'll give this soap to anyone that likes it at the farmers market. Ugh. I just can't take the scent at all.

So I made this soap and I don’t know if I really like the scent of it. As a matter fact, it makes me gag Just thinking about it.

We used an ingredient that calls for frankincense essential oil. However, I also used coffee grounds as an exfoliation factor for the Soap.

I had friends and family smell the soap and they thought it smelled fine. But when I smell it, I feel like gagging. So with that said, what should I do with this Soap.? Should I just send it to friends and family because there’s no way that I’m giving this soap to anyone. It does not smell great.

Any suggestions?

Has it finished curing? Was it infused frankincense oil you used? Frankincense fragrance oil? Frankincense essential oil?

I would advise letting that batch do its thing if it hasn't finished curing. The final scent will not be the same as when you first un-mold & cut your bars. Even a week or 2 later, it's still doing its thing in conjunction with the oils & butters you chose to soap with.

I had one batch which I was not happy with - the blend of essential oils I chose which smelled amazing before I used them in my soap. Not so much after I un-molded & cut all 60 bars 😲 😭

4-6 weeks later, 8 weeks later, I love the scent, and many people love it as well. It was one 16 pound batch I was initially horrified with - even the design I ended up with initially turned me off. Now, it's one of my - and other people's - favourites.

Give the batch time.

I feel your pain! I'm not a big eucalyptus essential oil fan to begin with but I got a different brand than normal, and I used it in a blend. It was the FIRST time, after years of soaping, that I HATED the scent of. Like gagging! I had to store it at the other end of the room. And, what the heck -- everyone, to a person, LOVES IT! I give the caveat of please toss it if it doesn't smell good and they look at me like I am from Mars. Scent is so idiosyncratic.

Has it finished curing? Was it infused frankincense oil you used? Frankincense fragrance oil? Frankincense essential oil?

I would advise letting that batch do its thing if it hasn't finished curing...

Give the batch time.
I will definitely do that. Give it some time. Keeping my fingers crossed on this. I used Frankincense essential oil. I'm embarrassed to say, but I also used coffee beans for exfoliation purposes. However, it smelt fine when I was making it. But after 24-48 hours, the scent changed to this smell that I can't stand.

I gave the bar to my husband to smell, but he didn't seem to hate it at all. He shrugged his shoulders and said, it doesn't really have a scent to it. I looked at him l like he was crazy. I then took this soap bar from his hand and smelt it again..but then started gagging. ugh.

I'll let it cure and see what happens in 6 weeks.

I feel your pain! I'm not a big eucalyptus essential oil fan to begin with but I got a different brand than normal, and I used it in a blend. It was the FIRST time, after years of soaping, that I HATED the scent of. Like gagging! I had to store it at the other end of the room. And, what the heck -- everyone, to a person, LOVES IT! I give the caveat of please toss it if it doesn't smell good and they look at me like I am from Mars. Scent is so idiosyncratic.

I'm having a feeling that other people may like this soap. I haven't gotten anyone else to tell me it smells awful. Maybe they are trying to spare my feelings. Who knows. Ha.

Now I'm wondering what to name this soap. It has a character of its own. Mmmmmm

Any suggestions?
Frankincense is one of those acquired scents. I found it to be on the verge of overpowering when I first smelled it but my skin loves it, along with myrrh ~ go figure, my skin favors the oils of kings and queens 😄 so I have become accustomed to it, even developed a fondness for it now.
Have you paired it with coffee before? Coffee has a specific aroma profile on its own and I know adding the grounds to soap doesn't really add scent to a soap, but maybe something about mixing the 2 didn't agree with your nose?

Frankincense is one of those acquired scents. I found it to be on the verge of overpowering when I first smelled it but my skin loves it, along with myrrh ~ go figure, my skin favors the oils of kings and queens 😄 so I have become accustomed to it, even developed a fondness for it now.
Have you paired it with coffee before? Coffee has a specific aroma profile on its own and I know adding the grounds to soap doesn't really add scent to a soap, but maybe something about mixing the 2 didn't agree with your nose?
Mmmmm...Yeah! That's what I thought. I don't believe coffee grounds will add scent to the soap. So It must be just the Frankincense I'm not agreeing with. I'm honestly not sensitive to smell, so that's why I find it odd that I'm sensitive to Frankincense. So I guess I've found a scent that I don't agree with. Ha!

I need to name this soap something...I don't want to name is Frankincense because it smells weird. Or maybe that's just the way Frankincense smells. IDK really.

Mmmmm...Yeah! That's what I thought. I don't believe coffee grounds will add scent to the soap. So It must be just the Frankincense I'm not agreeing with. I'm honestly not sensitive to smell, so that's why I find it odd that I'm sensitive to Frankincense. So I guess I've found a scent that I don't agree with. Ha!

I need to name this soap something...I don't want to name is Frankincense because it smells weird. Or maybe that's just the way Frankincense smells. IDK really.
Yes, it is quite unique ~ to me it has an earthy sappy resin (almost glue) smell. And I have come to love its healing qualities in my body oils. When I blend it into my body oil blend, there are so many other things in there it gets lost in crowd. But sometimes, frankincense, myrrh, lavender and rose is absolutely sublime 🥰 very earthy, somewhat floral, feminine without being sickening sweet ~ and they all contribute healing and calming qualities so win-win!

Yes, it is quite unique ~ to me it has an earthy sappy resin (almost glue) smell...
Yes Yes...It's the glue smell... Yes! you nailed it. It's definitely the glue scent I'm smelling. Yeah! Not looking it. I guess we all have that one thing we can't take and mine is Frankincense. Maybe one day it will grow on me. Who knows.

Yes Yes...It's the glue smell... Yes! you nailed it. It's definitely the glue scent I'm smelling. Yeah! Not looking it. I guess we all have that one thing we can't take and mine is Frankincense. Maybe one day it will grow on me. Who knows.
Well, since I believe you said you got the EO and I know it's not cheap, maybe try a few drops in shot glass with some lavender and rose to make it not smell like glue 😁 that's been my go-to for skin use. I even use it in my rosehip seed oil for my face. Just a few drops of Franky, and then some lavender and some geranium rose EOs. If I had to guess on my ratios, probably about 1F:2L:2R but you can adjust it to suit your sniffer.
If you know anyone who uses EOs for healing/therapeutic purposes, it's supposed to be good for tightening the skin and also for scar healing (I find it helps newer boo-boos more than older ones) among other things so maybe they would take it off your hands if you just can't use it.

I am super sensitive to many smells. One thing that surprises me constantly is that what smells great to other people doesn’t smell good to me- at all. You mentioned giving away the soap at a market. Instead you may want to just put it in with the rest of your display and you will likely be shocked at how many people love it.

It sounds like you sell, so you do not have to like it, if it sells, and Frankincense is usually pretty popular. Although I admit I have had some Frankincense EO's that smell very chemical and some that smell delicious, give it time to mellow. I sold many a soap with fragrances I hated because they would turn out to be some of my best sellers. So guess what I would continue to make them.

I have a peppermint fo that I think smells like chalky toothpaste. I just don't like it, but everyone I know thinks it smells awesome.
Ah ~ chalky toothpaste! The bane of my childhood! 🤣 Nobody, parents, dentist, doctors, understood why I hated brushing my teeth ~ turns out I had a sensitivity to mints! Not a full on allergy, no blisters, but my mouth would get red but it would fade in few hours and since it faded nobody considered it a problem 🙄 Fast forward to when I became a mom and someone got smart and made kiddie flavors other than mint! You know I was excited!
🥳🤣🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back