Dog Shampoo Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic1963

Reaction score
Anyone got a good dog shampoo bar they might share ?
I have a lady who has asked me about it. ( Its the same lady who bought 50 soaps last week...lol)

So I would like to be able to start coming up with something nice that might work for her.

Since we don't have dogs , I really don't know anything about what you would need for a S-Poo bar for one.

I don't sell a dog shampoo bar (I think the chances of getting sued over someone's pet having a reaction are FAR higher than a soap making a person itchy; and with so many pets with allergies, that's taking a big risk), but make one for use on our dogs.

Mine is a regular CP recipe (using whatever oils I happen to have on-hand-- usually a blend of olive, lard, castor, coconut/PKOand soybean) and I add 1 oz of castor PPO without changing the lye calc. It makes a bubbly bar that is moisturizing and rinses well.

To mine, I generally add a bit of neem oil, honey, and a few drops of lavender and peppermint EO. In the winter, I'll put in a bit of finely-ground oatmeal.

My show dogs have great coats and the handmade soap doesn't soften the coat too much like many commercial shampoos do.

Some pets are VERY sensitive to EO's. Pennyroyal, Tea Tree, Citronella, and White Birch especially. We had a groomer in town offer a 'spa treatment' using a soap with tea tree oil and three pets ended up at the vet for ataxia and seizuring. I have NO IDEA how much was in that soap, but it was enough to really affect those little dogs. And if there is any chance a client would use a soap around a cat, I wouldn't use EO's at all. A tiny bit of FO is probably safer. So many pet soaps tout using 'natural essential oils' but pets seem to be far more sensitive to these than people, so use them with caution.

Silver maple, that is really GOOD and needed info. regarding the reactions dogs have had with eo's. I was actually going to do a bar with eo's, not going to now. Thank you for that great info.

Excellent advice Silvermaple . I think you are absolutely right about people and their dogs .

Kitn

SilverMaple said:
I don't sell a dog shampoo bar (I think the chances of getting sued over someone's pet having a reaction are FAR higher than a soap making a person itchy; and with so many pets with allergies, that's taking a big risk), but make one for use on our dogs.

Mine is a regular CP recipe (using whatever oils I happen to have on-hand-- usually a blend of olive, lard, castor, coconut/PKOand soybean) and I add 1 oz of castor PPO without changing the lye calc. It makes a bubbly bar that is moisturizing and rinses well.

To mine, I generally add a bit of neem oil, honey, and a few drops of lavender and peppermint EO. In the winter, I'll put in a bit of finely-ground oatmeal.

My show dogs have great coats and the handmade soap doesn't soften the coat too much like many commercial shampoos do.

Some pets are VERY sensitive to EO's. Pennyroyal, Tea Tree, Citronella, and White Birch especially. We had a groomer in town offer a 'spa treatment' using a soap with tea tree oil and three pets ended up at the vet for ataxia and seizuring. I have NO IDEA how much was in that soap, but it was enough to really affect those little dogs. And if there is any chance a client would use a soap around a cat, I wouldn't use EO's at all. A tiny bit of FO is probably safer. So many pet soaps tout using 'natural essential oils' but pets seem to be far more sensitive to these than people, so use them with caution.

Great info.......... I think I will SKIP on the Dog S-Poo...... not worth the risk involved, I sure was not aware of all that info, and I am sure alot of other soapers are not either. IF I had a housedog tho, I would probably make my own shampoo for it tho.

I made a dog-poo bar for my own princess, but would not sell to others for the reasons mentioned. I used a lard base and kept the superfat up. My dog is allergic to everything and has color dilution alopecia (due to being purebreed) and I can only pet her in one direction. Her hair is very fragile. My dog is an example of why I would not give anything to another pet owner. I do not scent the soap.

THIS is the single most helpful post I've found on dog shampoos, so far! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

This is an ancient post from 2009.

The poster you are thanking hasn't been in the forum since 2015

See post #2 in this thread -- https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-culture-and-tone.56833/

Here's an excerpt with a better way, now that the forum allows people to "Like" posts --
" ...Tis much better to click on the 'Like' button than to necropost on an old thread just to say 'Thanks!" or "Cool idea!" or other such similar things that don't add anything useful to the discussion..."

Latest posts

Back