Do your salt bars shrink during cure?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapsugoii

Reaction score
I'm trying to calculate individual mold size so I can get custom salt bar molds made. I want them to shrink to be the same size as my regular bars (which I make in loafs), but I don't think my salt bars shrink quite as much as the regular ones. Anyone have experience with salt bar shrinkage? I use between 50% to 70% salt.

I am pretty sure mine haven't shrunk much at all, nothing like regular cp for sure. Can you try to make them the same size from the start.

To me it makes sense that salt bars might not shrink as much because of the bulk of the salt. I don't make salt bars very often so I can't really prove that theory. I do want to make some more, and will have to watch for that.

I would think the salt keeps the structure of the soap intact and while they might lose water since there is still a good amount in there, it just makes them more crumbly and harder, not smaller.
Mine don't seem to have shrunk at all after 4 weeks.

Yea, they definitely don't shrink as much as my regular CP, but I want to get them as close to the same size/shape as the CP bars I currently sell. My silicon slab mold bar dimensions are different from my CP bars, so it's hard to compare. I'll have to measure a bar when I unmold it tonight and again in a few weeks just to make sure, but I have a feeling I'll be ordering the molds pretty close to the size of a well cured CP bar. We'll see, though!

Back