Do you think this would be dos prone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
Tomorrow, after going to buy some lye at the hardware store, I would like to try this recipe. It's a shame that I have to go buy lye when I have like 30lbs of it that I can't use due to batch failures. I've never used more than 5% castor because I'm afraid of dos. Do you think this will be ok since the iodine number is below 60? I played around for a while trying to get these numbers so please don't rip me too hard lol. I would love to know how to get my bubbly number up some more. SoapCalc © Recipe Name: Print Recipe
Total oil weight 32 oz
Water as percent of oil weight 33 %
Super Fat/Discount 6 %
Lye Concentration 29.437 %
Water : Lye Ratio 2.397:1
Sat : Unsat Ratio 43 : 57
Iodine 58
INS 149
Fragrance Ratio 0.5
Fragrance Weight 1 oz
Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.660 10.560 299.371
Lye - NaOH 0.275 4.405 124.888
Oils 2.000 32.000 907.184
Fragrance 0.063 1.000 28.350
Soap weight before CP cure or HP cookMore info 2.998 47.965 1359.793
# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Palm Oil 43.000 0.860 13.760 390.089
2 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 14.000 0.280 4.480 127.006
3 Olive Oil 31.000 0.620 9.920 281.227
4 Castor Oil 7.000 0.140 2.240 63.503
5 Palm Kernel Oil Flakes, hydrogenated 5.000 0.100 1.600 45.359
Totals 100 2.000 32.000 907.184
Soap Bar Quality Range Your Recipe
Hardness 29 - 54 42
Cleansing 12 - 22 13
Conditioning 44 - 69 55
Bubbly 14 - 46 19
Creamy 16 - 48 36
Iodine 41 - 70 58
INS 136 - 165 149
Lauric 9
Myristic 4
Palmitic 25
Stearic 4
Ricinoleic 6
Oleic 40
Linoleic 9
Linolenic 0

Oh you are so right. I forgot about the stickiness etc. I would delete this post if I could find the delete button on here lol. Thanks TEG.

Your recipe looks great, You won't have any problems with the soap being sticky at 7% or DOS. I have three year old bars that have approximately 7%, and I don't have any DOS. I split the coconut oil and palm kernel just like your recipe. You will also have plenty of bubbles with 7% castor. If you went over 8 or 9% you might have some problems. If you look at soapcalc, increases in the castor will increase your bubbles number. I know people have the 5% number as a rule not to go over, but I have never had any problems. I have only made cold process soap with that amount of castor, if you are making hot process maybe someone else will comment.
Was your lye that you had failures with from Essential Depot? If so you may want to call them, they had a problem with some batches earlier this year.

Yes it was and I bought mine at the same time. I've had it in their original bottles stored in 5 gal buckets that I bought from the hardware store that has a rubber seal on it and they have been kept in my room with a dehumidifier running 24/7. I called and left them a message since nobody answered the phone. I'm waiting to see if they call back. If not, I'll call or message till somebody does. I bought it when they had their sale and with shipping, I'm out $100! I swear, I know how to make soap so I shouldn't keep having basically the same problems so I'm not even trying to use it again. The batch I made last night didn't even turn into soap! I will be going to the hardware store to get lye that I know nothing is wrong with. I've used it with no problems many times. The only reason I haven't called them on the lye yet is from what I understand, they haven't refunded any money, just gave a bunch of excuses. They better not try that with me. I won't spend another penny at their company and will let everybody know what happened to me. I hope they will just send me some lye to replace it that is good and not the same they sent me. I guess we'll see.

I had a package from them that showed up missing a bottle, it wasn't packed properly and the box broke in half! In any case they made everything right and sent out another bottle. The lye batches that I'm aware of with problems were in march of this year, but there could have been more.
I finally picked up 50 lbs locally at a garden supply, strange it was food grade. The guy that worked there split the bag into my two pails with the Gamma seals. They are very aware of the problem, so hopefully they will make it right, tell them that UPS can take the stuff you have back!

Your recipe looks great, You won't have any problems with the soap being sticky at 7% or DOS. I have three year old bars that have approximately 7%, and I don't have any DOS. I split the coconut oil and palm kernel just like your recipe. You will also have plenty of bubbles with 7% castor. If you went over 8 or 9% you might have some problems. If you look at soapcalc, increases in the castor will increase your bubbles number. I know people have the 5% number as a rule not to go over, but I have never had any problems. I have only made cold process soap with that amount of castor, if you are making hot process maybe someone else will comment.
Was your lye that you had failures with from Essential Depot? If so you may want to call them, they had a problem with some batches earlier this year.
I use casor at 6-7% in all soaps with no problems. If I could figure the exact reason dos happens I would be a very popular person :-D. I did the superfat swap and every soap has dos, and not just a spot the entire soaps. At one time I was becoming suspicious of lard but not after the swap in which there was no lard. As Keven Dunn proved, superfat also does not seem to be the contributing factor to dos either. So it is hard to say if a soap will come down with dos

I bought my lye from ED, but it was well over a year ago, and have had no issue with it. I also bought several pounds of coco butter, and when it got to me, one of the 1lb packages had melted and sprung a leak..I called ED and they offered to send me the whole order over for free..I just asked that they ship me a new 1 lb block for the one I had lost, so surely they will make things right.

As for the lye you got, have you tried only the same recipe over and over and gotten same DOS results? Before buying more, maybe try a small batch with just 2 simple oils, like CO and OO, or even Soybean just to test the lye.

My shaving soap recipe is very high in castor oil (over 25%) and it has never developed DOS. While I wouldn't recommend more than 8% for a regular bar soap, you can certainly use 7% without incident.

Back