Do you sell liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether you make a quart or 55 gallons, it takes the same amount of work. My suggestion is to make batches that are big enough to make it worth selling. I plan to do exactly this... I watched Ebay for months for a reasonably priced kettle to do it in. I just got one this past weekend. A kettle is nice because they're usually jacketed for heat (like a double boiler). Smaller ones (<10 gallon) are usually heated by electricity. The one I picked up is 60 gallon and requires a separate heat source. I'll probably hook it up to its own hot water heater.

If you add some potassium carbonate (potash), you can stir it all by hand with a paddle.

kettle.jpg

that is beautiful :)... yeah I would check around for local restaurants going out of biz... I have seen a few hot kettles like that which they were practically giving away... :)

I used to work in the restaurant industry so I have seen a multitude of equipment come and go... always had a special liking for those kettles.... and those huge hobart mixers that you need a forklift to move around... make myself like 200 lbs of pizza dough... muahahahhaha...after that I can rule the woooooooooooooooooooooooorld

I tried to get one of those standing mixers first.... no way, they're just too pricey. Used, ~10 gallon bowl they go for ~$1,000 or more. I got my kettle for $350... a used hot water heater and plumbing will probably cost another $150. Stainless paddle off ebay was $30 shipped.
Making 50 gallons of liquid soap in a day, priceless 8)

lovethyscent said:
Was curious being it takes me 5 hours to make would it be worth selling?

I found a neat trick for LS. Cook til taffy stage then wrap the pot in a blanket,put in a cooler,pack with towels to insulate even more,then leave it overnight.Next day all you need to do is cook a very short while and its done.Gorgeously golden & translucent.Then when I dilute I just heat the water,add the paste,turn off & walk away.Takes longer to be finished doing it this way,but taking less of my time kwim?

gekko62 said:
lovethyscent said:
Was curious being it takes me 5 hours to make would it be worth selling?

I found a neat trick for LS. Cook til taffy stage then wrap the pot in a blanket,put in a cooler,pack with towels to insulate even more,then leave it overnight.Next day all you need to do is cook a very short while and its done.Gorgeously golden & translucent.Then when I dilute I just heat the water,add the paste,turn off & walk away.Takes longer to be finished doing it this way,but taking less of my time kwim?

I've tried this twice and it hasn't worked for me. The other day I did it traced & got to this thick mash potato stage. Put it in the insulated cooler after oven turned off. Took it out 12 hours later and it looked the same except for a few gelled bits. I still had to cook it 5 hours to get to the vaseline translucent stage.

Latest posts

Back