Do you notice if clay makes your soap less melty/gooey?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lathered_up

Reaction score
I just happen to notice that that with a couple of batches that I made, my soap felt harder soon out of the mold. I also noticed that my soap did not get as soft or gooey when I left it in the soap dish like some other batches did. I did use different recipes for my soft vs. hard batches but I also used different recipes for my two clay batches and they did not get turn into a gooey soap jello. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just imagining it? I tend to use 1 tsp. clay per 10 oz. oils ( I know it's a weird amount but I work in 40 oz. batches). I am going to continue to use clay in my recipes but I would appreciate some feedback. I like bentonite clay a lot, just not the gray-green color it turns my soap :wink: . Do other clays behave the same way in cp soap?

I've found that most powders (clays, colorants, herbal powders, etc) harden up the bars a bit.
Which if you think about it, it makes sense. When making cookies, what happens as soon as you mix in the flour? The batter starts to thicken up.

Latest posts

Back