differences in Shea Butters?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loolee

Reaction score
Upon googling Shea butter, I see that it is listed by country of origin. Is there any difference between them all? Are some better than others?

Knowing what country it was made in is important, but there is really no way to guarantee it's better (or even usable) based on that alone. I buy thousands of pounds per year, and much of the shea I see (and don't buy) is disgusting. Full of sticks, leaves, ash, bugs, you name it. Even from village to village there are differences in how shea is made, how it turns out, how it smells, feels, tastes.

If you're using refined shea, it won't likely matter where it was made. This is stripped, bleached, deodorized and the therapeutic benefits greatly reduced. I prefer and use unrefined shea. For this, the most important part, in my opinion, is to find out when the shea was made and how dirty it is. Who cares where it's from if it was made in 2009 and is full of nasty filth? For the last seven years I've been buying direct for some villages that make it to our specs so it's fresh, clean shea and USDA certified organic.

There are also two species (paradoxa and nilotica) that you'll sometimes see mentioned. The most commonly used and available is the paradoxa. I've used both, and did not really notice any major difference in effects on skin. Even if there were a big difference I don't buy from countries with history of human rights abuses or genocide (Uganda, Sudan) which is were nilotica is produced.

How interesting! I did not know that some shea was dirty. I bought some at the farmers market and it was lovely... smooth and creamy and just really nice; albeit expensive $25 for 1 lb.

This is the really unrefined stuff I mean here. I don't trust raw shea that's too clean. It's either refined and being sold as unrefined (maybe at $25lb) or it's been processed (who knows how) to remove the foreign matter, or it's been manufactured to actually be clean. The third thing is very unusual in Africa, and we actually had to go to Ghana and find villages that made some decent shea and actually teach them how to make it clean and get it certified.

I guess if you went to Ghana, then you sell it? do you have a website?

Latest posts

Back