difference between evoo and pomace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKristen

Reaction score
So I have been using EVOO for my soaping since I started, purchasing on sale from the grocery store.

Well I decided ordering online in bulk was the way to go and ordered 8lbs of olive oil, but ordered pomace. What is the difference? Do you prefer one over the other?

When it comes to soapmaking you are better off using Pomace to keep your costs down. I've used both plus I've used Organic. Of course EVOO & Certified add to label appeal but for me it's not worth it.

EVOO is usually from the first pressing of the olives, and is usually a "cold pressing". I believe it also refers to the acidity of the oil. It is graded from EVOO to VOO to OO to Pomace. Pomace is the oil that is extracted last from the dregs of the olives by using heat and/or solvents.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43421 ... olive-oil/

I have never used pomace, but as lindy and lsg have said, many soapers use it quite successfully. It is much less expensive. I have heard some say that it will trace much faster than regular OO, so watch for that. Be sure you enter it correctly as Olive Oil - Pomace in whichever lye calculator you use, there is also a difference in SAP values.

Let us know if you can tell a difference and how you like it. :)

One thing you have to keep in mind with oils like pomace is shipping. None of my local stores sells pomace, but they all sell light olive oil. One grocery store nearby sells a bottle with 101.4 oz. for $16.49, which is more expensive than pomace sells for at some online soap suppliers, but not when I consider the costs of shipping. On the other hand, I think EVOO is likely to be more expensive, perhaps even if you take shipping into account (depending on where you buy the EVOO).

I have been buying a brand of EVOO that is about $6 for 62oz. I just purchased the pomace online at Wholesale Supplies Plus for $19 for 7lbs, I like them because there isn't any shipping if your order is over $30.

I have a company right here in town that brings it in for me by the case and don't charge me shipping.... I also get my lye through them too... :D

MKristen said:
I have been buying a brand of EVOO that is about $6 for 62oz. I just purchased the pomace online at Wholesale Supplies Plus for $19 for 7lbs, I like them because there isn't any shipping if your order is over $30.

Ummmm, someone take a look at my math here, but that seems like you just paid about 50-60% more than you have been paying locally...
local store = $1.54/lb
wsp = $2.71

WSP does have "free shipping", but a lot of their prices are VERY high to compensate for that. Be sure you comparison shop.

Lindy said:
I have a company right here in town that brings it in for me by the case and don't charge me shipping.... I also get my lye through them too... :D

I'm jealous! I can't buy lye locally. I actually have to order a lot of the stuff I need for soaping. Of course, I am new to the area and have not been able to explore every store yet. :D

Oops! The EVOO was $6 for 34 oz, not 64. That would be a great deal though!

I know that WSP includes shipping on its items but it seems like that has been the best deal I have found, at least on oils.

I use pomace oil and I buy it locally at GFS. It's around $11 for 128 oz (1 gallon). no membership needed

I didn't have a lot of luck at my local GFS (Gordon's Food Service) here in Florida, but that does sound like a good deal. I usually buy regular OO (not virgin or extra virgin, not pomace, just plain olive oil) at Sam's club for $11 for 3L (which is I think 101 oz). You do have to be a member but for me it is worth it. I have heard of people having good luck with Costco regular olive oil, around the same price, $1.75/lb.

danahuff said:
Lindy said:

I'm jealous! I can't buy lye locally. I actually have to order a lot of the stuff I need for soaping. Of course, I am new to the area and have not been able to explore every store yet. :D

Do you have an ACE Hardware? If you do check with them.

Pepsi Girl said:
danahuff said:
Lindy said:

Do you have an ACE Hardware? If you do check with them.

Already did. Checked with every hardware store in town.

I use the virgin oils as I go for the lite for making my soap as white as possible :D Pomace I believe is obtained by solvent extract and I have heard some dont use it for that reason but from my understanding and this is just what I have read the manufacturing standards are very high and the amount of solvent left if even present at all is so small that no negative effects can come from using it.

I've used both pomace & EVOO. I like pomace because it traces faster & I didn't have a stick blender until a few days ago. When I've used EVOO I've noticed that my batches had a different consistency. They seemed to be more fluid & poured better into to mold.

Back