curing rack ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When curing alot of soap how do you mark which is which if they are close in color, scent ect? I am now just running into this problem where I have many soaps that look alike and scents are close. Even if I am using a different shelf for different days I have to move soap once it is cured( which is not the problem) but then soap of different days gets on same shelf with same or simular scent that looks alike.

I have seen people's curing racks and it appeared that some of them had made up tags to go with each soap type, that way they had a physical reminder of what each soap was. I actually have some MP soaps that I put in bags without labels and I am not sure what some of them are because I didn't label them and they got shuffled around a lot. I would suggest making a tag maybe with a list of what scents and recipe you used and each time the soap gets moved, make sure you move the tag so it stays in front of the soap that it goes with. I hope that this makes sense :)

I mark each batch by using a toothpick that has a label attached to it. I put the date, abbreviations of oils used, how big the batch was, and EO's used. I then make sure that each batch is obvious on the racks by making sure the toothpick is in the end bar and there is a clear space between the batches. So far so good and no mix ups!

I'm currently just using index cards with the recipe # (I keep all my recipes digitally & numbered for reference), the EO or FO used, the made-on date, and the curing end date. Works for me.

I keep a notebook with all my soaping sessions written down, along with any special things I did. Then I take a scrap of paper and put the date, scent and whether CP or HP. The date and process helps me decide which soaps to move from rack to table for continued drying, and the date and scent also helps me refer back to my notes if needed. I put this paper on top of those soaps, just lay it there. So far have never lost any, but a postit or toothpick sound like a good idea.

Paper is out for now. have new pup and she tends to shred it when she finds it. :) I can not guarentee that she will not get it so no paper. Toothpicks are an option I am thinking colored ones. One color for each bar and two if I run out of single colors. We do that with the chickens too. Hmm for that matter I have colored bands for them that might work since it is a wire rack and I can put a band on a wire in front of the bars and they are easy to remove too not to mention they are numbered. :) Thanks all great suggestions.

I'm lazy - I drop my printout from soap calc on top of each batch - it has all my notes on it. All of the soaps are in one of those configurable wire cube set ups. It works pretty slick, the round soaps sit nicely in a square of the mesh, they are all evenly spaced and don't touch. and now they don't tip over either! I lay the sheet of paper over the soaps so I can remember which is which and when it was made.

What you can't see in the picture below are the 3" rounds that are in the back of each section.

IMG_0165.jpg

Latest posts

Back