Critique this recipe please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not know exactly what type of soap you are trying to create but if it is just a good simple soap, this simple recipe is jacked-up. :shock:

On the SoapCalc above are a list of ranges for each item such as hardness, cleaning, conditioning, etc. beside of them. The number to the right of those ranges is the number of your recipe and how your soap will probably turn out. Not trying to be mean but your numbers are not looking very good and I would suggest that you try again. :roll:

While the numbers soapcalc gives are often a good guideline - they are way off when it comes to a few things - especially the hardness of olive oil soap.

Your soap formula is very nice if you are looking for a very mild soap and can give it a good 8 week cure period. Olive oil soap tends to be a little slimy and not lather well, but it's very highly thought of - that's what the famous Castile soap is!! Adding some coconut oil can boost the lather and it'll still be mild - so it's a good compromise.

(even without the coconut it'll end up rock hard after a good cure - I promise! but you might want to use less water. try a 35% lye concentration to help that along a little).

Nice job.

I just met with our most successful local soapmaker. Her number one seller is her goatsmilk soap = 80% olive oil, 20% coconut oil. It's fab.

If you are just starting out, I'd reduce the quantity to a 1.5-2 lb batch. This is a large quantity of soap.

Also with that quantity of olive oil, your cure time might extend to 8 weeks or more. As you gain more experience, you could reduce the water in your soap recipe to help it cure faster.

That all said, this recipe should make a very nice soap.

Back