Crisco Vegetable Shortening vs Generic "Shortening&quot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullamoon

Reaction score
When I purchased my shortening, I almost grabbed Crisco but then opted for the even-cheaper "Shoppers Value" brand pre-creamed shortening. I assumed shortening was only made from vegetables and clicked vegetable shortening when figuring my lye with the calculators. I now see that this particular shortening is prepared from meat fats and vegetable oils with mono and diglicerides, bha and bht added to help protect flavor. Does this make a difference to the lye calculators? I would think so, but I'm not seeing an option to click on shortening made with animal fats and vegetables combined...

Is it the Walmart shortening? If it is, you can find it on soapcalc.com. Just scroll to the bottom of the list of oils and you'll see Walmart GV shortening listed.

Not WalMart. I got it from Shaw's, and it's called "Shoppers Value" pre-creamed shortening.

Hmm...where's NancyRogers? I know she's used a shortening that had tallow in it. She might be able to answer your question.

I looked up Walmart GV shortening. It's ingredients are
"Beef Tallow, Palm Oil, Vegetable Mono- And Diglycerides, BHA, Propyl Gallate And Citric Acid Added To Protect Flavor, Dimethylpolysiloxane, An Anti-Foaming Agent Added."

If the shortening you have is the same ingredients, I think it would be okay to use soapcalc's SAP value. IMO, I don't think there's many companies making shortening for wholesaling to groceries, etc. I think the formula would be the same or very similar to the Walmart version. You could use a 7% or higher SF to give yourself a little wiggle room on the lye amount.

Latest posts

Back