Covering log mold question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdranch

Reaction score
I cp soap using goat's milk and don't gel. I am anxiously awaiting a big log mold that I know will hold more heat than the molds I am using now. Is there any reason why I should put the lid on it? The closet I put my soaps in is pretty cold (65ish). This should not have an affect on my soap, should it?

I should mention this closet is kept locked and no kids or critters go into this closet.... so I am not worried about putting a lid on it to keep kids/ dog out of it. I don't want to crack or gel my soap though and want to make sure cooler room temps won't affect soap.

Thanks for any replies :)

Don't put a lid on it as that will trap the heat. The only thing I might put on my soaps is a piece of wax paper. I don't gel.

soapbuddy said:
Don't put a lid on it as that will trap the heat. The only thing I might put on my soaps is a piece of wax paper. I don't gel.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have always put wax paper on mine too until recently (I ran out and forgot to buy more). I didn't notice a difference though. What is the reason for putting wax paper on?

jdranch said:
soapbuddy said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I have always put wax paper on mine too until recently (I ran out and forgot to buy more). I didn't notice a difference though. What is the reason for putting wax paper on?
I put it on just to keep it clean and dust free.

lid

hummm. kinda confused here. I hear different stories. Some say cover, some say not. I have wooden molds with matching wooden tops. I have been covering the soap with a wax sheet of paper, then put the wooden top on. Wrap in towels, and leave it on the wooden floor in a corner. Room temp is about 70 or so. Sometimes the soap fills to the top, and sometimes not. I have had ash on two while others didn't. Am I doing it wrong? Just curious. I think they have been ok. But this may help me to make them more consistent.

Re: lid

srenee said:
hummm. kinda confused here. I hear different stories. Some say cover, some say not. I have wooden molds with matching wooden tops. I have been covering the soap with a wax sheet of paper, then put the wooden top on. Wrap in towels, and leave it on the wooden floor in a corner. Room temp is about 70 or so. Sometimes the soap fills to the top, and sometimes not. I have had ash on two while others didn't. Am I doing it wrong? Just curious. I think they have been ok. But this may help me to make them more consistent.
See what works the best for you. Some recipes get hotter than others; some fragrances heat up in the mold. Keep good notes, so if you like the end result, you can repeat it. Ash is pretty harmless.

Re: lid

srenee said:

It depends on if you want gel or don't want gel. I'm a "no gel" kind of girl so I pour and do nothing. Unmold and cut about 12 hours later.

covering a mold...

One time I poured 4 batches of soap, and used a bar mold that I made. I made 6 bars each of each batch. The soaps were made from hard oils…no OO and like that because I wanted rock hard bars.
Anyway….I poured one right after the other. CP… when I was finished, I let them set for maybe 5 or 6 hours un-covered. The first one I poured was the one that I un-molded first, which I shouldn’t have done because all the bars came out great except the 6 I removed first…those first 6 bars get that dreaded ashy look on them AFTER I start using them. The rest of the bars which were able to cool slower are fine …no ash…I have since learned that un-molding the soap to soon not letting it cool slowly can cause this, or can be caused from pouring the soap to HOT or to Cold. Some people insulate their molds after a pour but I never bother with that. Here are a few pics of my bars…

This is a picture of my bar mold before I un-molded...
Copyofsoapnew2.jpg

This is a picture of 2 bars, one un-used and one that has been used and has that Ashy look...
res3.jpg

wow that mold doesnt look like it unfolds. how do you get them out?

I'm not the original poster, but to answer the question about how the soap is unmolded, it looks like he's lined with freezer paper or wax paper, in which case, it's always easy to unmold (at least it has been for me - and I've used a variety of molds). You just pull up on the paper tabs sticking out and the soap comes out very well. I just ordered a Soap Hutch mold, which does not require lining, so we'll see how that works out! I'm excited, but a bit nervous because I've always lined up till now.

ah i use a wood mold but its one 4lb. that one is huge. Ive never been able to get mine out by pulling on the tabs. maybe i do so to early? ive always had to turn it upside down and tap (read beat lol) the corners on the table until it comes out.

not to hijack the thread.

Un-molding my soap

My mold can be taken apart. The dividers are fastened to the ends with wood screws, which are removable. I can move the dividers back and forth so that I can pour bars of different widths. The ends pieces are marked at different increments to guide my placement of the dividers. I have 2 sets of dividers for 2 bar thicknesses as well.

I used to line my molds with freezer paper (shown in the picture) but that got extremely tiresome. I now use Mylar, which I can use over and over again. I spray the Mylar liner just a little with some PAM before I pour. After the soap is cool I back the screws out with a small portable drill. Un-molding is a snap but I do wipe the soap log down a little before I cut them.

I was going to post a few pictures of my mold but we are having a huge storm here in my state and I can’t connect to Photobucket. If anyone is really interested, mention it and I’ll post some pictures after the storm has passed.

Jerry S
:)

Molds

Wow. Thanks for answering this. I have to make a few batches today and I would've loved to just set them on my dining room table and let them cool. I'll try that today. In the past I was stacking them in a corner with towels.

Freezer Paper

I definitely feel ya' on the freezer paper. Mylar? Where do you get this. I hate trying to line these bad boys everytime I need to do a mild because the freezer paper is so stiff. I used a plastic bag once, but I think because of the type it tuned it a greyish tent, only had to do that once. I used surran wrap and it wasn't too bad, just cumbersome. I haven't been able to get some of the liners I've seen on a few sites just yet.

Lining the molds...

Srenee,
I got the Mylar from a place I used to work. (Engineering office)You can buy this stuff online but you’ll have to hunt around to buy a small amount and then with the shipping it’s pricey. If you know some other soapers that you could go together with that would cut the cost. I don’t sell my soaps but if you do then it’s better to go like the pro’s and buy the higher end molds. You can get Mylar at some quilting shops cuz they use it to make patterns with but I never could get big enough pieces. If you’re just a home soaper as I am the freezer paper works good and so does Parchment paper, which is easier to fold. All this liner material is a pain to work with so if you soap a lot, just get the higher end molds.
Jerry ':)'

Lining Molds

Thanks Jerry,

I've tried a few different ones to see how they work. The freezer paper is a pain, and the parchment does work pretty good. The surran isn't too bad for small batches. I am leaning toward buying the liners you can have cut to specs, since my wooden molds are different sizes. But parchment seems to be working for the meantime. Someone told me that Lowes sells these industrial bags that can take high heat. May try those as well. I have a small business I am trying to get off the ground so eventually I am looking for easy and consistent.

Latest posts

Back