Could be an epic fail....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
After searching all day to see if anyone combines beer and milk together in a recipe, I just did it. I found about 2 people online who said that they make it, so hopefully it'll be OK. This will either be an epic fail, or a really freakin cool soap. Since I live in WV, it'd be awesome to do a moonshine soap....if only that would work!

Pics will be up tomorrow...the moment of truth!

The soap is 20 hours old right now. The little sample cubes are so freakin' cute. This one was a bit soft yet but I think these will be great samples! And honestly I enjoy the smell. It smells nothing like beer. It almost smells like apples....strange, I know. I used no scents or dyes in it just so I could see exactly what I was getting.

003-2.jpg

The big log looked the same way this morning. Although the camera makes it look waaaay darker in the center than it really is. I was thinking it was still gelling. Now I'm not so sure. It's cool to the touch, seems fairly hard, with no zap on the edges or in the middle. I loosely insulated it because I heard horror stories about volcanoes. Do you think I should unmold it but wait till tomorrow to cut it? If it is still gelling or is stuck in gel, is there anything I can do to force it to fully gel?

002-1.jpg

I'm about as patient as a racecar driver at a red light.

I cut the soap. I feared it would be a partially gelled catastrophe...

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

and I was WRONG! It looks great!

I'm wondering if it looked a bit discolored because the beer I used is a Black and Tan by Yuengling. It's a mix of porter and premium. I was told online to use ales and lighter beers, but I just love the sweet smell of the B&T (and it was the only beer I had!). I'm super pleased with this soap! May have become my favorite...

Love how the soap turned out.

Could you please see if you can reduce your photos when posting, its just a little easier to read your message if its smaller, than having to slide the lower bar across on each line, as it doesn't fit the screen. Thanks.

Looks lovely and very creamy. Did you use beer as the liquid (mixed with lye) and added the milk at trace?

I mixed the beer and milk together. I took the total liquid, divided it in half, and used half for beer and half for milk. It smelled awful mixed with the lye, as I expected. Looked pretty gross, too, till I added it to the oil.

adoptapitbull said:
I mixed the beer and milk together. I took the total liquid, divided it in half, and used half for beer and half for milk. It smelled awful mixed with the lye, as I expected. Looked pretty gross, too, till I added it to the oil.

i do beer and buttermilk, beer in the lye mixture and buttermilk at trace. i love it!!

Thanks everyone! I was hoping it'd be OK because I made such a large batch to fill the mold I got at walmart. If it failed, I was going to be so upset...and a little broke! lol

great! My uncle recently started an organic farm, just a couple of miles from my home; and my aunt asked me to make some soap for their little shop.

They grow certified organic hop at their farm to, so a milk and beer soap would be cool :D

Back