Containers for soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratikal

Reaction score
This is a really silly question.

I heard you do not want to mix lye and water in Pyrex cause it could break. Therefore, you could mix it in a plastic #5 container.
However, can you have your oils in a Pyrex, and then add your lye mixture to that? Would that cause it to break or would the mix of everything be alright? I see most people online mix in Pyrex so is it just that you don't want to create the lye mixture in that?

Use stainless steel or #5 plastic. At least the first 24 hours (preferably 72 for your safety), it's still raw soap and raw soap hasn't finished it's chemical reaction yet. It's why you're supposed to wear gloves and use eye protection. Raw soap splashing on you exposes you to possible lye burns because the chemical reaction to turn it into soap hasn't completed. After 72 hours, it's no longer raw soap and safe to touch but takes up to 6 weeks to be ready to use so the crystaline structure can be completed and it won't immediately dissolve when it gets wet.

The videos online are probably using pyrex because it looks cool.

Polypropylene plastic (specifically PP#5) is a good choice for plastic. For melting my solid fats/butters in the microwave I use a large Pyrex pitcher. I use plastic for my lye solution and for mixing the soap.

I assume they use Pyrex or clear containers. In the videos for taping purposes. Someone just mentioned a Pyrex container exploding last week. All my mixing containers are $tore plastic.

Latest posts

Back