Confectioners Sugar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding a little bit of sugar to one's batch (usually 1 to 2 tbsp. ppo dissolved in your water amount) helps with bubbly lather. Any sugar will work, be it granulated, confectioners or even a 50/50 premade simple syrup made with sugar and water. I myself have just always used granulated, but I know of others who use confectioners or simple syrup.

Adding sugar tends to be one of those hotly debated subjects in the soapmaking world. Some say it makes a bubbly difference in their soap, and others say they notice no difference at all. I tend to attribute the differing outcomes to our individual soap formulas, and even also possibly to our water types (I have very hard water). For what it's worth, I'm one of those that has noticed a measurable difference- the most difference showing up with my Castile-type soap formula.

IrishLass :)

Thanks so much for replying. Does it significantly affect how quickly the recipe comes to trace? Sorry for so many questions but I'm a newby and I tend to geek out over everything before I try on my own. :D

I always 1 tbsp sugar ppo.
I always gel, but just wondering, do you think it also helps to heat up the soap?

edited to say 1 tbsp. I'm tired, lol

Hmm, can you use sugar in a batch that has sodium lactate? Are there any contraindications to that? Anyone do that?

I always gel, but just wondering, do you think it also helps to heat up the soap?

It's weird- white granulated sugar never has caused any extra heating in my soap that I've noticed, but honey sure has- at least back in the day before I started mixing the honey into my cooled lye water, that is. Takes the fire right out of it.

Hmm, can you use sugar in a batch that has sodium lactate? Are there any contraindications to that? Anyone do that?

Yes- you can use SL and sugar in the same batch. I've done so quite often with no adverse reactions.

I just made a batch last night with sugar, 1tsp per ppo. I made a regular batch too so I can compare. I didn't like adding it to my lye. Next time I will dissolve it in a little water and add that to my oils.

IrishLass said:

It's weird- white granulated sugar never has caused any extra heating in my soap that I've noticed, but honey sure has- at least back in the day before I started mixing the honey into my cooled lye water, that is. Takes the fire right out of it.

IrishLass: Does it still discolor when you add the honey to cooled lye water? Logical tells me no, but I just want to make sure. :)

And are you talking room temp lye water? Or just lye water in the 110 degree range?

Stacey said:
IrishLass: Does it still discolor when you add the honey to cooled lye water? Logical tells me no, but I just want to make sure. :)

Yes- it discolors to a medium/dark tan for me.

Stacey said:
And are you talking room temp lye water? Or just lye water in the 110 degree range?

Yes- room temp lye water. Basically, I first dilute/dissolve my honey in a little bit of my water amount that I've held back or set aside, and then I add that to my room temp lye water.

Not to drag things out here :oops:, but on the topic of adding sugar or honey. When would be the "appropriate" time to add honey? I have read @ trace, and others mention in the Lye water :?: I have tried a few batches with honey, and lets just say they didn't cure well :wink: Too much heat I'm thinking. I'm also getting the sense that soaping at room temp. is the way to go with any type of sugar/milk?

candreas said:
Not to drag things out here :oops:, but on the topic of adding sugar or honey. When would be the "appropriate" time to add honey? I have read @ trace, and others mention in the Lye water :?:

Well, it really depends from person to person and what works best for them. :) I personally like adding my honey to my lye water. Doing so has eliminated a couple of problems for me- namely overheating/cracking issues when going through gel, and precipitation issues (or weeping honey spots) in my finished soap.

candreas said:
I have tried a few batches with honey, and lets just say they didn't cure well :wink: Too much heat I'm thinking. I'm also getting the sense that soaping at room temp. is the way to go with any type of sugar/milk?

Well....yes and no. Sorry for such a nebulous answer, but again- it all depends. :) For me, I can soap hot just fine without any overheating issues at all when using plain white granulated sugar in my batches (dissolved in part of my water amount and then usually stickblended into my oils before adding my lye solution). And with honey, I can still soap on the warm side (120F) without any issues, but only if I mix it into some of my water first to dissolve and then into my cooled-off lye solution. With milk, I have no issues soaping at 120F either, but someone else might not have the same outcomes as me because they are not using the same method or formula or other variables as me. The only way to find out what works best for you is to experiment by trying the different methods out with your particular formula.

Latest posts

Back