Conditioning VS Creamy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amanda131

Reaction score
I have really dry skin. My husband is perfectly happy with my soaps, but I still itch! Which do I want to up, the Conditioning or the creamy? and How high do I want to get it? I make my soaps with Crisco, Castor, Palm Kernel, Coconut, and Olive. I just purchased some Shea Buter. Any tips??

Up the conditioning. According to the soap qualities listed on Soapcalc:

Condition - Conditioning refers to the soap’s emollient content. A soap’s emollients are left on the skin. They help the skin retain moisture. They sooth the skin and keep it soft. A range of 44 to 69 is satisfactory for this soap quality.

the creamy only refers to the lather quality.

Creamy lather - This value indicates the stability and creaminess of the lather. Usually, increasing Bubbly will decrease Creamy and vice versa. A range of 16 to 48 is common here. The higher Creamy numbers will tend to produce a creamy lather with lesser amounts of bubbles or foam. Soap made with oils that do not contain Lauric, Myristic or Ricinoleic acids will produce a soap with just creamy lather. An example would be 100% olive oil soap.

And because listing sources is good...

http://www.soapcalc.net/info/soapqualities.asp

I love love love this recipe:

60% OO
12% CO
12% PKO (you could just use 24% PKO or CO)
9% shea
7% castor

It needs a pretty long cure because of all of the OO, but I love it once it's done.

Soapcalc gives it the following numbers:

Hardness 31, cleansing 15, conditioning 65, bubbly 22, creamy 22, iodine 64, INS 135. You can disregard the hardness number completely, though, it gets rock hard once it's cured.

This is GREAT info thanks so much! I just tried my first HP today, Tess, I may try that in the Crock tomorrow and see what happens!

And because I just reread your post, got to tag on the "cleansing" section...

Cleansing - This refers to the soap's ability to grab on to oils. A soap molecule is a chain of carbon atoms. One end of the chain attracts water, the other end attracts oil. When you wash your skin with soap and water, multiple chains will gather around a droplet of oil (which contains, for lack of a better word, dirt) with their oil-hungry ends attached to the oil droplet. The water hungry ends are surrounded with water. To make this happen you need to mix up (scrub or rub) the soap and water on your skin. When you rinse, the oil droplets with the attached soap molecules are washed away. (more info here) Some soap molecules can have a very hungry oil grabbing end. Soap made with too much Lauric and/or Myristic Acid can irritate the skin by washing away not only the top dirty layer of oils, but also the protective layer of surface oils on the skin. Generally speaking, keeping the total of coconut and palm kernel in your recipe to no more than 30-35% can avoid this. A typical range for Cleansing would be 12 to 22. A soap recipe within this range, and made properly, will not irritate the skin.

Oh my goodness, two new great recipes to try. I'm about to die of excitement! :p

i love shea, when i used alot of coc ans pk it was drying, use more oo and shea will really help the moisture
I like this
oo 11
pk 4.5
po 5
co 4.5
shea 4
castor will up you "bubbly" number alot. good luck

Tess, I made your recipe, and I LOVE it! Between my dry skin and hard water, I ALWAYS need lotion, and with that bar, I got away without today!! LOVE IT!! Thanks so much! Now if I could just make it pretty!!!!!

My favorite for dry skin:

75% OO
20% CO or PKO
5% Castor

Can be made CP or HP. Will take longer to firm up HP, but after a long cure both are excellent, hard, mild soaps.

These turn rock-hard during the cure. Age them about 4-6 months and they are TO DIE FOR.

This simple recipe is still one of my favorites.

SilverMaple said:
My favorite for dry skin:

75% OO
20% CO or PKO
5% Castor

Can be made CP or HP. Will take longer to firm up HP, but after a long cure both are excellent, hard, mild soaps.

These turn rock-hard during the cure. Age them about 4-6 months and they are TO DIE FOR.

This simple recipe is still one of my favorites.

I make this one for my 85 year old grandmother and she loves it. For that matter, I like it a lot too!

I love love love this recipe:

60% OO
12% CO
12% PKO (you could just use 24% PKO or CO)
9% shea
7% castor

It needs a pretty long cure because of all of the OO, but I love it once it's done.

Soapcalc gives it the following numbers:

Hardness 31, cleansing 15, conditioning 65, bubbly 22, creamy 22, iodine 64, INS 135. You can disregard the hardness number completely, though, it gets rock hard once it's cured.
I make primarily raw goat milk soap & love both Castile & bastile bars. With all milk & no water I feel I boost that creaminess score. And people assume a large % of OO (liquid gold today three times the price 31/2 years ago / wish I was a hoarder) Makes a soft bar & like you said after a proper long cure the lather develops and it’s rock hard. I don’t care about the cleansing or bubbly score. This is a lovely recipe 💖

I make primarily raw goat milk soap & love both Castile & bastile bars. With all milk & no water I feel I boost that creaminess score. And people assume a large % of OO (liquid gold today three times the price 31/2 years ago / wish I was a hoarder) Makes a soft bar & like you said after a proper long cure the lather develops and it’s rock hard. I don’t care about the cleansing or bubbly score. This is a lovely recipe 💖
I am pearlygoat on TT most of my work is there. I csnt seem to keep up with SM

I am pearlygoat on TT most of my work is there. I csnt seem to keep up with SM
This thread is 15 yrs old, the person you quoted is no longer around, you can check the date of the post under the avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back