coconut oil question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapbubble

Reaction score
HELP!!

I don't know what field to choose in soapcalc for my coconut oil....is organic coconut oil "76 degree", "92 degree" or "unfractionated"??

TIA!!

I did some search too since I dont know what kind of my CO is. You can put your oil into fridge. If at that degree, it gets into white solid, so it is. Another thing is that 76,96 o CO has no smell of CO? Only fraction CO has big smell I think.

hobbiz said:
I did some search too since I dont know what kind of my CO is. You can put your oil into fridge. If at that degree, it gets into white solid, so it is. Another thing is that 76,96 o CO has no smell of CO? Only fraction CO has big smell I think.

The only coconut oil I have that smells (beautiful) is Organic Virgin Coconut Oil that hasn't been deodorised. :wink:

fractionated is liquid all the time, and quite expensive.

76 or 92 degree coconut oil is the same on soapcalc, so it doesn't really matter what you put in. If you don't live in Asia your oil is most likely 76 degree coconut. I have never seen the 92 outside Asia (or possibly Australia) and I am sure it would be marked as such. It just makes it easier to handle in hot climates, as it doesn't become liquid until the temperature is really hot, so can be supplied in different containers (not leak-proof).

This also means, be careful if you store your oil in the kitchen, as some 76 coconut is not supplied in leakproof containers and my kitchen gets over 76 degrees easily if I do baking or Sunday Roast.

Virgin Coconut Oil is lovely and smells of coconut. You can get it in health food stores, but it's far too nice to use in soap. Keep that one for Lotions and Cooking. It can be either, 76 or 92.

Latest posts

Back