Check this out

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chrissy,

Seems a bit vague on the blend part, how are you supposed to know how much lye to use? I have no idea what the cost of oils are there, but it also seems a bit pricey compared to oils here in the states. I dont think I would even consider it, could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Wow... I know that experienced soapers will not be fooled by that but hopefully no beginners will be.

One of the first things we all learn is that we need to have accurate measurements to calculate the lye and this clearly says that the info is unknown. How on earth does that make it "perfect for soap making"?

My thoughts exactly.
The same ebay store sells other soap making equipment, but having an unknown oil blend and being so vague about it is pretty unprofessional in my opinion.

I've seen their listings before.
They are ridiculously expensive.
Who would honestly pay that much for palm oil.
I brought 15kgs of the stuff last week for $25.
& especially an unknown blend......TOOLS!!!

How stupid is that. I hope no one buys that...lol. Someone on Etsy was selling premixed oils like that for soapmaking. They wouldn't say what their "special" blend is. Super secret.

pixybratt said:
isn't there a soap supply that sells a blend online too? It's a kit they have then they sell the blend separate?

I think BB does (as well as others) but they tell you what is in it.

OBN does.

But since this person doesn't even know the composition of his/her mix, it sounds more like they've taken waste oils and are selling them. Fine for biodiesel but NOT fine for soap. IMO.

Further, palm is not a "golden liquid"...

carebear said:
OBN does.

But since this person doesn't even know the composition of his/her mix, it sounds more like they've taken waste oils and are selling them. Fine for biodiesel but NOT fine for soap. IMO.

Further, palm is not a "golden liquid"...

this. maybe restaurant salvage? eeeeyyyyyuuuucckkkk!

and might as well go out and buy the new crisco with the same ingredients and really inexpensive price.

I just had to question this seller on this. Below is my question and their response.

Q: What is the SAP value for this blend of oils? Surely unless you know the exact percentages of this blend you can't calculate SAP and without that you can't calculate the amount of lye needed.

A: that is why you test oil in soapmaking before you claim it makes 'rock hard soap'. i have made soap successfully from it by using mms calculator - i just nominate it as palm oil. if you look at our cp soap bars you will see the soap made successfully from this oil.

Which in my mind doesn't really answer the question. Sure you can "nominate" it as palm... you can call it soy... you can call it pasta sauce if you want to... and calculate your lye accordingly.

If it does happen to make soap it's only by dumb luck.

This is very odd. It makes you wonder, how did they come to own this oil if they have no idea what is in it? Also, who knows what else may be in there---they sure don't. I think you might be on the right track with the salvage oil comment. You should ask if it has a distinct odor, like french fries or egg rolls ..lol.

xyxoxy said:
I just had to question this seller on this. Below is my question and their response.

Q: What is the SAP value for this blend of oils? Surely unless you know the exact percentages of this blend you can't calculate SAP and without that you can't calculate the amount of lye needed.

A: that is why you test oil in soapmaking before you claim it makes 'rock hard soap'. i have made soap successfully from it by using mms calculator - i just nominate it as palm oil. if you look at our cp soap bars you will see the soap made successfully from this oil.

Which in my mind doesn't really answer the question. Sure you can "nominate" it as palm... you can call it soy... you can call it pasta sauce if you want to... and calculate your lye accordingly.

If it does happen to make soap it's only by dumb luck.

Her answer makes no sense at all.

Latest posts

Back