Can weather affect outcome?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbell

Reaction score
Is it possible for weather to change the outcome of your soap? Last week during a blizzard like conditions decided to make soap since I was home. The soap is softer than anything I have ever made. I have used the same recipe before but it was hard after 12 hours in the mold. This one feels after two weeks still soft almost like clay.

So recipe
Cocoa butter 3oz (6.25%)
Coconut oil 12oz (25%)
Olive oil 12oz (25%)
Palm 9 oz (18.75%)
Shea butter 6 oz(12.5%)
Sunflower oil 6 oz (12.5%)
Water (33%) 15.84 oz
Lye 6.74
Soaped at room temp.

Yes absolutely weather can have an effect on soap.
Humidity, for example, can make your soap softer than usual. However, after 2 weeks, it shouldn't be that much softer. Are you sure your lye wasn't compromised by the humidity?

No I don't think so. Only difference between the batches (a year in between) is I tried master batching my lye water. I followed Irish lass? Tutorial on weighing everything including the lid. To rule out the lye water tried same recipe again. Normal hard. This is what has me stumped.

Humidity in the house drops to about 20% with the wood stove. Definitely had it going that day.

Is it possible for weather to change the outcome of your soap? Last week during a blizzard like conditions decided to make soap since I was home. The soap is softer than anything I have ever made. I have used the same recipe before but it was hard after 12 hours in the mold. This one feels after two weeks still soft almost like clay.

So recipe
Cocoa butter 3oz (6.25%)
Coconut oil 12oz (25%)
Olive oil 12oz (25%)
Palm 9 oz (18.75%)
Shea butter 6 oz(12.5%)
Sunflower oil 6 oz (12.5%)
Water (33%) 15.84 oz
Lye 6.74
Soaped at room temp.

Was there an electrical storm with the blizzard?

No. Ended up just being high winds and snow. The soap was coloured with green sea clay and pink kaolin clay. The water also had 1 teaspoon of salt. The clays went into the batter undiluted.

Snowbell, since this was your first time using master batched lye solution, are you sure you only added 9.1 ounces of additional water and didn't accidentally add the master batched solution plus the full water amount required? While humidity can play a role, I too think it shouldn't be that much softer. And it sounds like the humidity in your house is low during the winter months, which makes it seem less likely to have been the problem.

If the place where you put your molded-up soap was a little cooler than usual, the soap may have not reached gel temperature, while your previous batches did. That can explain the difference.

No according to my notes. 2x lye amount= masterbatch solution. Water - lye = extra water. To that extra water added 1 tsp each salt and sugar. Then lye mater batch. Sorry not by my notes right now otherwise would have the math. Also triple checked how to use a master batch solution.
Snowbell, since this was your first time using master batched lye solution, are you sure you only added 9.1 ounces of additional water and didn't accidentally add the master batched solution plus the full water amount required? While humidity can play a role, I too think it shouldn't be that much softer. And it sounds like the humidity in your house is low during the winter months, which makes it seem less likely to have been the problem.

If the place where you put your molded-up soap was a little cooler than usual, the soap may have not reached gel temperature, while your previous batches did. That can explain the difference.

Measured out extra water salt sugar. Added lye water. Let cool. Warm but not hot. Measured out hard oils. Microwaved them till clear then added liquid oils. When both feel about the same temp added lye water. Added fragrance not new have used the same one before in this recipe 1 oz ( yes it's light) and 2 tablespoons pumice. Mixed till light trace. Separated into half added 1 tbsp of clay to each. Reached thick trace. Popped into mold. Slab mold this time not a loaf mold this time. Put lid on and placed near wood stove. Would be kept warm but not hot. For the life of me I can't figure this one out.

"...Slab mold this time not a loaf mold this time...."

That's very likely the reason. Slab molds have more surface area in proportion to their volume so the soap doesn't get as warm and is less likely to reach gel temperature.

Thank you DeeAnna, makes sense and at the same time I would have never thought of that. To be honest this batch has been driving me crazy trying to figure out what went wrong.

That's why it's always good to present an issue to the group without making any assumptions. Quite often the real problem is different than what you think it is. I think in your case, the problem may be less about the weather and more about using a different type of mold. Interesting, huh?

Thank you. I've spent the last two weeks trying to figure this one out. Never would have thought the mold. I know wood vs silicon would be different but didn't figure load vs slab would make that much of a difference. But looking back it makes perfect sense. Will start writing down which mold I used.

Back