Can I Do a 25% Superfat?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissE

Reaction score
My recipe was originally conceived 100% CO but I have some Shea Butter from my last batch and Castor Oil has come to be something I add by default to all my soaps, and I would like to adjust my recipe to include these.

The numbers I am concerned about are my Oleic (16) and Linoleic (3), and the question is, can I still go up to 25% SF with these or am I facing a sure DOS?

My recipe: Coconut Oil 75%, Shea Butter 20%, Castor Oil 5%

I know of some folks who do a 25% S/F with the 100% coconut oil soap and they like it just fine. Both your oleic and linoleic are on the low end as far as DOS goes, so I don't think there's a very huge chance that your soap will come down with DOS, but that's not to say it's impossible. If you are still hesitant, you can always do a 1lb test batch. For what it's worth, it's an experiment that I personally would have no hesitation of trying with a 1lb batch.

IrishLass :)

Glad to know and thank ye, IrishLass. I wonder what's low and high in the oleic/lineolic profile when it comes to DOS. Is there like a chart or numbers to guide one?

I accidentally made a 25% SF salt bar. It works fine but melts away super fast, I get maybe a weeks use out of it before it’s gone

Hi BattleGnome, could it be the salt and did you use SL?

Has someone else done 25% SF and did they observe this?

Last edited:
I would say with the castor oil it would be too soft. A 25% or even 30% is okay for a 100% coconut oil soap but with the other added oils your bar might not hold up in the shower.

I don't know about the Shea and Castor in such a recipe, but I do a 90% CO 10% avocado, 25% SF for my husband, with or without salt. I haven't had any DOS. I've thought about subbing Shea for the avocado oil, but I haven't tried yet. Maybe I'll do that when I restock his soaps.

Hi BattleGnome, could it be the salt and did you use SL?

It could very well be the salt. I just wanted to give you my experience and it wouldn’t be accurate without the salt mention.

In my opinion you don’t need the castor, 70% coconut oil should be bubbly enough on its own

It could very well be the salt. I just wanted to give you my experience and it wouldn’t be accurate without the salt mention.

In my opinion you don’t need the castor, 70% coconut oil should be bubbly enough on its own

That's a thought, thanks a lot!

I would say with the castor oil it would be too soft. A 25% or even 30% is okay for a 100% coconut oil soap but with the other added oils your bar might not hold up in the shower.

Thanks for weighing in, KellySoapCo!

Glad to know and thank ye, IrishLass. I wonder what's low and high in the oleic/lineolic profile when it comes to DOS. Is there like a chart or numbers to guide one?

You can run a single oil at 100% on Soapee.com or SoapCalc to see the various fatty acids in it. Just click the appropriate oil, and then put 100% and calculate.

You can run a single oil at 100% on Soapee.com or SoapCalc to see the various fatty acids in it. Just click the appropriate oil, and then put 100% and calculate.

Hi Susie! Yes, but I don't have a guide. Like IrishLass said, my Oleic (16) and Linoleic (3) is low enough for me to go high with my SF. But I am thinking, when is it high so that I'd better not raise that SF? I'm grateful for IrishLass's help, but I would like to learn to look at the numbers another time and form a conclusion by myself.

Thanks!

I've done 80% CO, 15% Shea or Avocado and 5% Castor with a 20% SF no issues with and without salt. Never done a 25% SF though. My bars are hard and last quite well.

I accidentally made a 25% SF salt bar. It works fine but melts away super fast, I get maybe a weeks use out of it before it’s gone

Wow that's fast!! My salt bars with 25% SF last for EONS. I get sick of using it before it's half way finished (lasts anywhere from 2-2.5 months or more)
I cure mine for 6-9 months though, maybe that's why?
Even with a 25% SF they are still not quite ready before that time frame.

Hi Susie! Yes, but I don't have a guide. Like IrishLass said, my Oleic (16) and Linoleic (3) is low enough for me to go high with my SF. But I am thinking, when is it high so that I'd better not raise that SF? I'm grateful for IrishLass's help, but I would like to learn to look at the numbers another time and form a conclusion by myself.

Thanks!

Generally speaking, a total linoleic content of over 15% with a normal superfat (about 5% or so) is considered by many soapers (me included) to be baiting the DOS monster. Some have stated that they are able go over that without any DOS issues, but much depends on the overall formula and/or other factors, such as the humidity level in ones area, etc...

Re: oleic acid- others may have a different view, but I personally don't view a high oleic content as being a DOS baiter. My 2 main formulas contain an oleic content of 35% and 45% respectively, and I superfat them as high as 8 without any DOS issues.

I cure mine for 6-9 months though, maybe that's why?
Even with a 25% SF they are still not quite ready before that time frame.

I might be off on how long they last, but it’s nowhere near my standard bar longevity. If I remember right I cured the bars at least 6months before using one and I have one lined up when I need a new bar in the shower (should be close to a year old now).

I’m pretty sure mine are 100% coconut oil with 75% salt by oil weight. Is your recipe drastically different somehow?

Generally speaking, a total linoleic content of over 15% with a normal superfat (about 5% or so) is considered by many soapers (me included) to be baiting the DOS monster. Some have stated that they are able go over that without any DOS issues, but much depends on the overall formula and/or other factors, such as the humidity level in ones area, etc...

Re: oleic acid- others may have a different view, but I personally don't view a high oleic content as being a DOS baiter. My 2 main formulas contain an oleic content of 35% and 45% respectively, and I superfat them as high as 8 without any DOS issues.

So grateful, IrishLass!:bunny:

I might be off on how long they last, but it’s nowhere near my standard bar longevity. If I remember right I cured the bars at least 6months before using one and I have one lined up when I need a new bar in the shower (should be close to a year old now).

I’m pretty sure mine are 100% coconut oil with 75% salt by oil weight. Is your recipe drastically different somehow?

Nope. I do variations on SF and salt amount, and the ones I only use 25-50% salt do dissolve faster, but still last about the same amount as my normal bars which with daily showers last about a month to 6 weeks. The higher the salt percentage, the longer the bars last.

ETA: I have no idea if this makes much of a difference at all, but I am in a very low humid climate (like I literally feel like I'm breathing water when it's 25% here! LOL) So that might play a factor? I just don't know.

Latest posts

Back