buttermilk problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapchick

Reaction score
I've soaped with buttermilk in the past and most of time it turns yellow on me after lye is added. Yesterday the soap turned orange and now has a pinkish/orange cast. I did not add any coloring, it's a lavender soap and was going to add a purple tint but was afraid due to the wierd coloring. Could it be the buttermilk had more fat in it than norm? I really love the buttermilk and what it does for the skin but would love a more white soap. My other ingredients are shea butter 10%, olive oil 25%, avocado oil 15%, coconut oil 20%, pk oil 20%, lard 10%

Whenever I use goatsmilk, I freeze it in a ziplock bag. Use a large enough bag so it flattens out & the milk is a pretty thin layer. Mix the lye + water. Cool to room temp.

Prepare an ice bath in the kitchen sink or a large bowl. With the lye container in the bath, break the frozen milk into large pieces and add it slowly. It will thicken, I think because the lye is saponifying the fats in the milk. It should stay a light yellow. Whenever I have followed this method, I get a nice ivory colored soap.

I haven't tried buttermilk yet, but this method may work. Let us know if you try it.

Latest posts

Back