Bubbly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky

Reaction score
I have spent the day on SoapCalc trying to figure out how to make a bar of soap that is bubbly, with a cleansing value under 20, and I'm about to go bonkers trying :evil: . What constitutes a bubbly lather? I have a few batches of soap under my belt, but they all turn out creamy. What is a good number to have for lots of bubbles?

Also, if you have a high cleansing value (say 24), does a high condition value (say 50) make up for it?

Thank you all in advance.

I had just posted the other day on a recipe I had done with a cleansing of 20 and conditioning of 50 and I found that my skin was a little dry. Someone suggested to me to have a conditioning of 55 when your cleansing is high.

so I'm new at all this too but castor oil is very bubbly and I read on the forum that a conditioning does make up for it but i think it would have to be higher.

The gurus will be here shortly : )

and for the gurus...I superfat at 8-10%, use a 2:1 water:lye ratio, and I am thinking of Almond oil instead of Olive oil.

20-25% coconut oil in your recipe should give you a cleansing of 14-17 (just about right), and 5-6% castor will boost the bubble way up there to a nice bubbly lather.

BlueSky said:
I have spent the day on SoapCalc trying to figure out how to make a bar of soap that is bubbly, with a cleansing value under 20, and I'm about to go bonkers trying :evil: . What constitutes a bubbly lather? I have a few batches of soap under my belt, but they all turn out creamy. What is a good number to have for lots of bubbles?

Also, if you have a high cleansing value (say 24), does a high condition value (say 50) make up for it?

Castor oil will get you some extra bubbles, so will glycerin added at trace at about 1%

oldragbagger

Castor oil will get you some extra bubbles, so will glycerin added at trace at about 1%

I like to use glycerin to my CPHP at end of cook, it helps smooth it out some, but I didn't know glycerin added bubbles, Yahoo! :wink:

BlueSky said:

For me, I like to formulate so that my bubbly # is one point higher or exactly the same as my creamy #. This gives me a creamy bar with lots of bubbly lather. The further that those #'s are away from each other, the less I like the resulting lather.

I like to also make sure that my cleansing never goes over 20 (unless I'm doing one of those CO bars with a very high S/F). In my regular bars with a 5% S/F I can go as high as twenty on the cleansing, but if I do, the conditioning has to be at least 55. That's just the way my skin likes it. Happily, my testers like it, too, but you'll have to experiment to see what you like personally since everyone's likes and dislikes can be different.

I always have these bubble inducing ingredients on hand: Coconut, Babassu, PKO, Castor Oil, honey, sugar, milks, etc... All of those help to lend bubbliness to ones formula.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back