Black walnut powder or walnut leaves?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
I've seen some lovely coloured soap, using walnut product - dark brown but lovely and translucent With specks of dark brown.

I've seen two items for sale and I don't know which one would give me the look I'm after
Black walnut hulls powdered
Walnut leaves powdered

Has anyone used these? Which one should I go for?

Let me know how it turns out and if the colour morphs. I haven't ordered mine yet so I'm a couple of days behind you !!

I've been really intrigued by the use of walnut powder too and would love to see your soap after you use it. I've been a bit hesitant though because of the high percentage of people I know with nut allergies. My daughter-in-law is SO allergic I don't even use sweet almond oil in any body product I make for her. Does anyone know if the topical application causes a problem for people with nut allergies or if saponification has an impact on it's chemistry? I don't want to be the one who causes her to whip out the epi pen and zoom off to the ER!

I have used the ground walnut powder. You do not need very much at all to produce a nice brown speckle color, but I found it to be too scratchy and never use it. It feels soft when you handle the powder, but in soap it scratches, at least for a body bar. I would only use 1/8-1/4 tsp PPO.

Latest posts

Back