Best temp to add fragrence

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm using soy wax to make my candles, I saw somewhere to add fragrence to wax at 180 f for best scent retention and throw. Is this correct ? Seem a bit high to me, but I'm new at candles so could do with some help. Thanks.

I've read the same and I don't have an answer for you from my own experience yet, but I know you'll have to check your fragrance oil for flash point. I know some of mine are 199f but a lot are much lower.

Tuning in for the answer to this as well :)

The procedure for almost every candle making procedure is to heat from 180* to 210* depending on each kind of wax. Then add any fragrance around 180* and stir the fragrance either for several minutes or until the mixture reaches a specific temperature. This varies widely with each kind of wax and personal pouring temperatures and systems.

Each fragrance has a flash point....yes. This is the point at which the fragrance will ignite...in the air. Only if there is an ignition source. So if a fragrance's flash point is 150* you need to have your kitchen be 150* with an ignition source and an airborne fragrance to have an issue. When you add this fragrance to a wax, it combines with the wax and this changes the flash point.

So, in your candle system you will heat to a certain temp, add color and stir. Add the fragrance, stir and then pour at your desired pour temp. I personally add fragrance at either 180* or 185* depending on which wax I am working with a parasoy container wax or a paraffin pillar wax.

Good Luck. :)

Hi Stacy ,
Typically I add fragrance at 185. It all does depend on what brand of soy wax you are using because some are finer then other and some are blends. Usually the place you purchased the wax from will have information for you. Pouring temp is very important due to frosting and caving that can happen. That again depend on the wax brand/type.
I use a 100% soy wax from golden brands - I always pour at 160 and the tops come out smooth. If you pour any higher than that I find a lot of caving and cracks happening. Hope that helps!

165-180 degrees is the best temp I've ever found. I also pour it slowly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back