Benefits of Bastille???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanafana

Reaction score
I've read about the benefits of Castile soap, but was wondering are there benefits in Bastille as well? Are there benefits in keeping your recipe simple with only a few oils (ie majority OO and some CO and a little castor). I know that every oil has unique qualities it brings to the soap, but was wondering of a minimalist approach also had it's benefits.

Thanks so much in advance for any responses!!

]Are there benefits in keeping your recipe simple with only a few oils

definitely. less fuss with the scale.

a simple palm, oo, coco is enough to make a good soap. for me personally, i prefer to keep my recipes simple. it's a lot more fun to play with additives, such as milks, honey, etc etc.

I'm all in with Seven. I much prefer to keep the recipe simple and monkey around with additives, colors and scents. However, many people love to tinker with recipes to see what oils do what and what properties they give. Name your poison!

definitely. less fuss with the scale.

a simple palm, oo, coco is enough to make a good soap. for me personally, i prefer to keep my recipes simple. it's a lot more fun to play with additives, such as milks, honey, etc etc.

Thanks seven. I was wondering about this as it seems to be my preference as well thus far. I am new to soapmaking though, and I see so many recipes that have like alooooot of different oils in one recipe. I haven't gone down that road yet, but kinda don't want to lol. I don't know if people use all those oils because it makes a huge difference in the overall properties of the bar itself or because they are using up oils they happen to have on hand or just love the process of experimentation. I'd love to know, and I'm sure it's probable a combo of all of the above. Everyone has their preferences I guess.

I'm all in with Seven. I much prefer to keep the recipe simple and monkey around with additives, colors and scents. However, many people love to tinker with recipes to see what oils do what and what properties they give. Name your poison!

Me too newbie, just wondering why people do what they do I guess. And am I missing out on something spectacular by not combining a bunch of oils.

Me too newbie, just wondering why people do what they do I guess. And am I missing out on something spectacular by not combining a bunch of oils.

I am really starting to think not. I have been soaping for a year now - relatively new still - but am feeling like I should just stick with my OO, castor, PKO and tallow. I always wonder if there's some silver soaping bullet around the corner, though.

I'm really new to soaping as well but so far I've mixed the oils trying to find my perfect bar. Then of course I'll move on to another type of bar. So far not enough experience to try milk. I told my husband that as long as I'm cooking soap I will stop baking cakes and breads that I will eat. LoL have to find some way to stay within my recommend BMI.:-?

I am really starting to think not. I have been soaping for a year now - relatively new still - but am feeling like I should just stick with my OO, castor, PKO and tallow. I always wonder if there's some silver soaping bullet around the corner, though.

Yea, part of me wants to try every single recipe out there just to be safe I'm not missing something, but an overwhelmingly part of me wants to keep it simple. Idk what's best though.

I'm really new to soaping as well but so far I've mixed the oils trying to find my perfect bar. Then of course I'll move on to another type of bar. So far not enough experience to try milk. I told my husband that as long as I'm cooking soap I will stop baking cakes and breads that I will eat. LoL have to find some way to stay within my recommend BMI.:-?

Lol! My family would kill me if I traded my baking for soaping!! But it is a good way to keep your bmi in check.

I have a basic recipe very similar to judymoody's. When I want to try a new oil, I work it into that recipe. But I haven't found another all-vegetable oil soap I like better than olive, coconut, and castor.

I have a basic recipe very similar to judymoody's. When I want to try a new oil, I work it into that recipe. But I haven't found another all-vegetable oil soap I like better than olive, coconut, and castor.

I'm relatively new to all this, but agreed!

honestly, I'm the person who uses many different oil. i get bored easily and love to change things up. i also love the experimenting with each oil to see what kind of soap i end up with- bubbly, creamy, lots of lather, moisturizing, hard, silly, etc. I'm always looking to go one step further and challenge myself. but everynow and then, i use my simple 2-3 oil recipes when im going crazy with colors and such. :)

I like olive/coconut/castor, but I had someone complain that it didn't lather. Well, it doesn't, not like a synthetic bar, or one with less olive. I explained that it was a very gentle soap, great for dry skin in winter.

honestly, I'm the person who uses many different oil. i get bored easily and love to change things up. i also love the experimenting with each oil to see what kind of soap i end up with- bubbly, creamy, lots of lather, moisturizing, hard, silly, etc. I'm always looking to go one step further and challenge myself. but everynow and then, i use my simple 2-3 oil recipes when im going crazy with colors and such. :)

Yea, I do it for a change as well, but always go back the the simpler recipe and just switch up the additives. That's where my creativity can come in.

I like olive/coconut/castor, but I had someone complain that it didn't lather. Well, it doesn't, not like a synthetic bar, or one with less olive. I explained that it was a very gentle soap, great for dry skin in winter.

So far mine have lathered really well. I haven't used commercial in a while so maybe I'm used to less lather? No complaints so far, but I know each persons skin type is different. One recipe may not suit everyone.

Latest posts

Back