Beer soap .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’ve been doing some research on making a beer soap . I would like to add hops . I also notice on some soap company’s box’s they have distilled hops on your label . What’s the difference. Has anyone used distilled hops before ? Or is there a process with the soap making to distill the hole in your lye or something ?

Thanks

So I’ve been doing some research on making a beer soap . I would like to add hops . I also notice on some soap company’s box’s they have distilled hops on your label . What’s the difference. Has anyone used distilled hops before ? Or is there a process with the soap making to distill the hole in your lye or something ?

Thanks
I'm going to be making a beer soap soon as well and was wondering what beer to use.
I like the idea of hops though. I can't imagine how you would distill hops ... would this be a by-product of brewing beer? Maybe something you could get from a brewery?
Aside from distilled hops, I would think you could infuse hops in the oil that you're using. Not sure it would be worth much more than label appeal, however.

I'm going to be making a beer soap soon as well and was wondering what beer to use.
I like the idea of hops though. I can't imagine how you would distill hops ... would this be a by-product of brewing beer? Maybe something you could get from a brewery?
Aside from distilled hops, I would think you could infuse hops in the oil that you're using. Not sure it would be worth much more than label appeal, however.
I was doing some reading and hops is a strong antioxidant . Label appeal is a bonus also . I’m using apricot grounds for grit . So I don’t want to add in anything that will add more grit to the bar . I would only add it if it make sense . So distilling or finding it in a liquid extract form would be best . Just can’t find any at the moment (all expensive).

When choosing a beer . I would research what kind of soap you would like do. ( I started with a good essential oil blend I liked ) Learn the ingredients in the beer find something that matches. Then bring the bar together. The fruit beers are good because there lots of ingredients you can use in soap that you can work with . Also the stouts are good because they use chocolate, honey , oats all that good stuff in those beers .

Hope this helps :)

I thought beer was made from hops?
Yes there is . Would like a liquid extract for the Antioxidants

I got this from google .

It has been attributed anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, as well as diuretic, digestive, sedative, progestogenic properties, even being considered a cure for insomnia. For this wide range of health benefits, it was regarded as a life prolonging plant

I have some dried hops. I think they would be very scratchy if ground and put in soap. I did infuse some in olive oil and used that. I'm not really sure there was much noticeable difference in the end soap (beer was reduced to replace some of the water). I can't remember if I did a warm infusion to begin with, but it was infusing for about 5 months before I used it.

I have some dried hops. I think they would be very scratchy if ground and put in soap. I did infuse some in olive oil and used that. I'm not really sure there was much noticeable difference in the end soap (beer was reduced to replace some of the water). I can't remember if I did a warm infusion to begin with, but it was infusing for about 5 months before I used it.
Okay sounds good . Thanks for info . Yah the grounded up hops I’ll have to try . But will see if it noticeable with the apricot. Might be able to use it .

Thank you

Quick Question Mike - are you an experienced soaper or is this your first soap? Beer soap can be a bit tricky if you add beer as your liquid, because of the sugars in the beer. I used a fruit beer the first time I made beer soap and didn't realize there are special precautions to take, so it volcanoed and made a huge mess. Lesson learned and now I have not had that happen again. When I make shave soap I use beer, and don't add any other essential oil or scent and it still smells like a nice ale, so be aware that the beer may give your soap a natural scent. Good luck!

Quick Question Mike - are you an experienced soaper or is this your first soap? Beer soap can be a bit tricky if you add beer as your liquid, because of the sugars in the beer. I used a fruit beer the first time I made beer soap and didn't realize there are special precautions to take, so it volcanoed and made a huge mess. Lesson learned and now I have not had that happen again. When I make shave soap I use beer, and don't add any other essential oil or scent and it still smells like a nice ale, so be aware that the beer may give your soap a natural scent. Good luck!
So interesting! I wasn't aware that beer leaves a scent. Does it change the colour much?

I used to make quite a bit of beer soap, usually using beer produced by an area brewery.(label appeal!) What caused the least hassle for me in terms of overheating was to freeze the beer, then when it got slushy I would add my lye and mix well. The beer/lye mixture can still volcano out of your pitcher, this may depend on the amount of alcohol in the beer, not sure perhaps someone else knows, so just use your usual caution. Several times I lightly boiled the beer and had no issues in use, but it was just an extra step that I found annoying. I used both essential oil blends and fragrance oils, the slower movers had the best success/least partial gel or overheating issues. And sometimes the natural beer scent clashed terribly with the added scent, but that really mellowed out anywhere from 6-10 weeks later and there was always a nice depth to the scent. Have fun and keep good notes!

I’ve never had that issue as I soap a lower temperature and boil my beer before hand . I’ve even added honey in my stout soap and no issues .

Latest posts

Back