Beer not going flat.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimuth

Reaction score
Ok. I have boiled my beer, I've had it sitting on the counter for a week, and still I have BUBBLES. I honestly don't know what else to do. Anyone have ideas? I was told to do 1/8 tsp baking powder but I don't think for this it would go over well. Who knows. :x :evil:

If it's been open and out for a week and then boiled?....I think it's ready now. I always weigh out the amount needed, freeze it, and then add my lye to the frozen beer a little at a time, stirring well making sure it dissolves well. I've never had a problem with any volcano. It does smell REAL bad however.

I make a lot of beer soap. Your beer is ready. Soap away! :)

Personally, I don't boil my beer before using it to make soap. I just pour out what I need, give it a stir till if foams up and then let it sit on the counter for a few hours. I give it a stir every once in a while.

I put it into the refrigerator over night so it continues to go flat.

Beer will pretty much always foam up a little when you stir it even when it's "flat". Just taste a little and you will have no doubt it's flat. It will be disgusting even if you usually like beer. LOL

I bring my soap to a boil once to help expel the dissolved CO2, then once it's cooled to room temp (or even better, chilled) I add my lye VERY SLOWLY.

Set it in the sink while you do it, and open a window. It's likely to volcano if you add the lye too quickly so the sink is a good safety. And it stinks! :)

it seems to have an impact on the lather - perhaps it's the carbohydrates in the beer. but mostly label appeal, for me.

There should be no CO2 in beer after it has boiled, or any other dissolved gasses for that matter.
The sugars in a beer post fermentation can very greatly. A oatmeal stout for example will hold a thick head because of proteins, and larger (none fermentable) sugars. A dry light beer will have very little of this.
So anything that can hold bubbles well will requites some careful treatment when adding lye. If a stout, even a flat one, boils it is more likely to make a mess.

The key is to add the lye VERY VERY slowly. I made a batch not to long ago and for some reason I got down to the last tablespoon or so of lye and just dumped it in.....the beer foamed up half way up the pitcher hehehe. Scared me and I haven't done that since. And this was with FLAT beer.

I don't boil mine either, but stir it well and let it sit for a few days at room temperature. I'll put it into a freezer 3 or 4 hours before making soap and mix the lye in slowly and a bit at a time. I've never had a volcano.

I'm another of the ... don't boil the beer, freeze the beer for a few hours and most important, add the lye slowly. So far I've never had a volcano ... and here's hoping I never do!

The key is to add the lye VERY VERY slowly. I made a batch not to long ago and for some reason I got down to the last tablespoon or so of lye and just dumped it in.....the beer foamed up half way up the pitcher hehehe. Scared me and I haven't done that since. And this was with FLAT beer.

I agree, Tegan. When I made (well, let's face it - destroyed) a batch of beer-soap I poured - err...dumped - in the lye. If only my junior high science teacher had seen my fantastic volcano! My pre-soap batch turned into instant science experiment gone horribly wrong. It was cool to watch after the sheer panic subsided. :crazy:

Latest posts

Back