Bath bomb Ewax or poly 80

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmwmo5

Reaction score
Hello,
im going to make bath bombs but I’m toying with the idea to use Ewax instead of poly 80.
has anyone tried this ?

I don't see e-wax as working very well. It has to be heated to melt it, and that heat will affect the rest of your ingredients.

Plain old dish soap is a fairly common substitution by those who are looking to lower ingredient costs, or who don't like the smell of PS80, or who have concerns about whether PS80 has negative health affects.

I made bath bombs using Ewax so far so good … the mix that was left in the bowl after making them I put in warm water to wash them up and it’s looking promising…it did a fizz and a foam only reason I want to use it is it’s what I’ve got I use it for lip balm instead of bees wax but I do need to get a smaller mould, for now I’ve done half moulds ,the smaller one is a bath salt bomb with bath salts on the top or bottom depending on how I package and in the middle

Attachments

• 185B0A75-7C6C-4C4F-8014-3A877C96133C.jpeg
    185B0A75-7C6C-4C4F-8014-3A877C96133C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I made bath bombs using Ewax so far so good … the mix that was left in the bowl after making them I put in warm water to wash them up and it’s looking promising…it did a fizz and a foam only reason I want to use it is it’s what I’ve got I use it for lip balm instead of bees wax but I do need to get a smaller mould, for now I’ve done half moulds ,the smaller one is a bath salt bomb with bath salts on the top or bottom depending on how I package and in the middle
Hi. Curious to see if the Ewax dissolved ok in the tub with the rest of the bath bomb. And did it act as an emulsifier as well. Thank you.

Try turkey red castor oil instead of polysorbate 80. It works just as well, prevents slippery tubs, and is not carcinogenic like polysorbate 80 is. Castor oil is also awesome for the skin.

I'm guessing that refers to ingesting poly 80? That being said, Polysorbate 80 is one of my al-time favorite additives for B & B products, and more!:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fun-with-polysorbate-80.69670/

I would have to read the article on the experiments they did again at some point to be able to answer that. I posted the link in another thread a few days ago but don't remember which one exactly.

That being said, many pharmaceuticals are delivered transdermally, and have been for quite some time (even with nicotine patches), winding up in our bloodstreams, so it makes sense to me that using polysorbate 80 even in topical products - such as when soaking in a tub of water with your pores open & capillaries active at the very surface of the skin - could very likely result in toxic exposure. Not to mention the inhalation factor. Steamy bath, breathing it all in. That's one of the reasons I also make my cleaning products. Kids are even more susceptible to this type of exposure, and more & more kids are riddled with allergies of various types. It's happening for a reason, whether environmental pollution due to all of the chemicals being manufactured & used (the manufacturing process of these chemicals is also something to research; where does the waste from that type of manufacturing go?), medical malpractice via medical treatment, toxins in our foods & medications, toxins in our waters, toxins in our cleaning products & laundry products, our air, our soil, our meat products, dairy etc.

Personally, I'm not willing to chance it, especially when there is a much safer alternative. If I can find a safer way of doing things, I will. If there isn't a safer way / safer raw materials, then I choose to not make a specific product until there is.

Our bodies are already inundated with toxic chemicals out the ying-yang, 24/7. The more we can reduce this exposure in our body care, home cleaning & laundry products, the better it is for us, not to mention environmental impacts. All that polysorbate-laden water goes somewhere, affecting our waters & all the living beings in those waters, and we end up re-ingesting it in one way or another when we think of how water transforms itself & re-cycles itself within the natural cycle of things. We are at a crisis point. If we don't begin questioning & researching this stuff & demanding better alternatives, our disease rates around the world are going to continue to balloon.

@QuasiQuadrant I understand your concern. :)

I hope you'll forgive me if I say I don't share your concern for the environment in this case. I've never read anything about it being toxic for B & B products in all my 20 years I've been using it. Polysorbate 80 is a wonderful product for so many different applications that it would be a shame not to use it.
It's a good thing! :nodding:

@QuasiQuadrant - why do you think polysorbate 80 is carcinogenic?

FWIW transdermal patches are intentionally designed to deliver a drug through skin. Skin is a pretty good barrier that is difficult to get any med through.

@QuasiQuadrant - why do you think polysorbate 80 is carcinogenic?

FWIW transdermal patches are intentionally designed to deliver a drug through skin. Skin is a pretty good barrier that is difficult to get any med through.

There are several links to several studies which have been done on polysorbate 80 in this article. Since they're all in one place - and there may be more related to the toxicity of polysorbate 80 but I haven't yet checked - I will paste the link here.

https://thegoodhuman.com/what-is-polysorbate-80/
We can end up ingesting things via multiple manners / products / substances both intentionally & unintentionally, whether or not those substances were intentionally designed for a specific purpose.

Polysorbate 80 - along with many other questionable substances - is used in countless products across the board, from food to pharmaceuticals to bath & body care products, including those which are used in products designed to dissolve in water in which people will sit & soak for extended periods of time. If you sit in a tub full of water laced with arsenic, even in small amounts, especially if you do so on a regular basic, you will later find that this will show up in your bloodstream, transdermal patch or not. This will inevitably affect a person's health. Likewise many other substances.

The majority of the public are not questioning the many chemical substances which are used in all of the products which the majority of people purchase & use. This, to me, simply is not logical. Fortunately, this is slowly changing. When we inform ourselves, we become more knowledgeable. When we question the repeated claims & messages, and look into these often repeated messages, we begin seeing where these messages are coming from, which industries are promoting them, and why.

Polysorbate 80 is just one of many chemicals used in mass manufactured products across many industries which we are exposed to on a daily basis.

In addition, disease rates of all types are skyrocketing & have been for multiple decades. This is happening for a reason, and it's not because someone is sitting in a bathtub full of calendula petals, baking soda, citric acid, salts & essential oils - as one example of many possibilities.

I am not claiming polysorbate 80 is the demon of all demons. Hardly. It's just one of many substances which we can choose to eliminate from our lives by mindfully choosing to use / make products which don't contain them. This creates a market shift, as we have seen with many, many more natural preservatives being released on the market in recent years, made from plants.

My personal experience has been that, as I have eliminated as many substances as possible from my regular usage, my health has improved dramatically, as has the health of family members, friends, acquaintances, community members, neighbours of mine who have been willing to listen & to try to gradually eliminate these products from their lives themselves - which fortunately has been quite a number. Personal observation is crucially important in this process. Without it, we couldn't cross a street without ending up under the tires of a #13 bus. Nobody claims 'there is no proof' before we know that looking both ways before stepping out off a curb would reduce death rates related to pedestrian / bus collisions / car collisions. Observation, common sense, experimentation - although I am not about to blindly step off a curb in front of a bus to prove a point.

As I have said before, if there are viable options which have a high likelihood of being safer to use, I myself choose to create products which are of higher quality using those viable options. This is the reason I started down this path in the first place - the health & wellness of my children, and now my grandchildren, which led to better health for me as well. I also choose to let people know that there are alternatives which are safer. They can then look into this information, if they so choose, and then make an informed decision, if they so choose.

You don't have to listen to anything I say. You don't have to look into this more. You don't have to look at the many studies which have been done on many of these types of substances. Free choice. I am simply relating what I do, why I choose this path for myself, what I have experienced works for me, the information I have looked into, the studies which have been done (which are still seriously lacking), and what I have observed has worked for many people I personally know.

So yeah, long answer to a short question........good luck on your journey :)

@QuasiQuadrant - I think you need to go back and read the article more carefully.

Some things that jumped out at me were -
PS-80 is synthesized from oleic acid (already in soap) and dehydrated alcohol.

I saw about 4 citations, two of which are “extremely rare” case reports (extremely rare article you linked words not mine). It was t clear to me that PS-80 was even the causative agent. Another article takes lab results to postulate a possible mechanism I didn’t follow that had something to do with E. coli poisoning. The fourth the article you linked authors used the the word “some” to describe PS-80’s impact.

What also jumped out at me was all the implied impact (on rats, high dosages, no citations) were ingested. Not for nothing, but I wouldn’t ingest lye either.

I - I’m still not following why it would be bad to use in soap.

@QuasiQuadrant - I think you need to go back and read the article more carefully.

Some things that jumped out at me were -
PS-80 is synthesized from oleic acid (already in soap) and dehydrated alcohol.

I saw about 4 citations, two of which are “extremely rare” case reports (extremely rare article you linked words not mine). It was t clear to me that PS-80 was even the causative agent. Another article takes lab results to postulate a possible mechanism I didn’t follow that had something to do with E. coli poisoning. The fourth the article you linked authors used the the word “some” to describe PS-80’s impact.

What also jumped out at me was all the implied impact (on rats, high dosages, no citations) were ingested. Not for nothing, but I wouldn’t ingest lye either.

I - I’m still not following why it would be bad to use in soap.

I very rarely say anything is 'bad' or 'good' as absolutely nothing is black & white. What may on the surface seem to be benign or 'good' can actually result in far reaching negative effects. If you were a fish in the ocean, or lake, and polysorbate 80 continues leaching into your home, your water, year after year due to the soaps & other personal care products people are using, you would view this issue very differently than from the perspective of a human being. That fish may say 'this 💩 is toxic & it's killing me & generations of my family', while you might say 'hey, I've been using this stuff for years without any issue' while wondering why the seafood you buy at the supermarket has declined in quality & availability. Perspective is everything. Observation is crucial.

From my perspective, if I can make better decisions, take more thoughtful action, I choose to do so, whatever the case may be. These are personal choices I make based on years of formulating products. Even when I wasn't soap making, I spent many years constantly formulating products, testing them, having others test them, observing their results, then working to improve them. I also have spent many years researching not only product ingredients, but also what is going on globally with people's health, the health of the planet, our children & grandchildren. I have witnessed what is going on in the various countries I have worked & lived in over at least a decade. My conclusions & choices are based on a lifetime's worth of observations & experience, in my own country & several others.

You have your own personal choices to make based on your own observations & experience, as is the case with everyone. Even remaining apathetic - as many people do - or simply choosing to not look at these things is a choice. Choosing not to choose is also a choice 😂

I have mentioned several reasons I choose not to use polysorbate 80 - inhalation / absorption via the skin / potential negative effects on our waters. People bathe & shower. Depending on which, you'd be absorbing / inhaling the polysorbate via some means, even with soap, as would other living beings. For me that isn't an acceptable risk I am willing to take, and if I am not willing to take that risk myself, I do not feel comfortable putting that risk factor out there for my customers to deal with, or living beings in the global environment, especially when our planet has been in crisis for so long due to the 💩 choices made by our species.

In addition, because of the fact that I spend nearly all of my time surrounded by nature, wild foraging, using nearly all which I forage in some way in my products, I am see & am very concerned with what is happening to our planet. Everything we use in combination with water - and even without - ends up in our waters, our air, our soil, our food.

This is why I choose to not use polysorbate 80 & many other substances in my products. I really don't know how to make it any clearer.

Lastly, I mentioned that not enough studies have been done for a reason, the unspoken being 'well hey just continue doing what we're doing until somebody tells us it's killing us & everything around us', as I knew this would be mentioned. Well, look around... we are dying in droves & every living thing on the planet is dying in droves....so ask yourself why these studies have not been done. Look into these things. Come to your own conclusions. Make your own free choices & decisions based on the knowledge you glean from everything you read, experience & observe. As I said before, many of the effects we see are subtle, but they are there. Many take years to show up, but we can see this if we choose to carefully observe. The effects are there & we have been experiencing the results of our actions & choices for many decades now. You don't have to be a 'scientist' or a chemist to make logical conclusions based on your personal observations & experiences. Sadly, with so many corporations funding the research being done, studies are deliberately skewed in the favour or the companies producing these chemicals in vast amounts, with no care or attention being paid to our specie's health, or the health of the planet & the many other species which live amongst us here.

As the health of the planet degrades due to all of the toxins we as humans are manufacturing, formulating with & polluting our soil, waters, air, food etc with, our health degrades as well, more & more, year after year. This is unacceptable, and I therefore make a conscious effort to reduce the amounts of toxins I purchase in my products, the substances I formulate with etc.

This has been a lifelong journey for me, and has taken countless years of researching, observing, taking note of, experimenting and so on. I have said many times that this is a whole lot more than soap making to me - this is a shift of consciousness. Not only for myself, but for our entire species.

Good luck in finding answers to your questions. They don't always come easily or quickly, but they come :)

Latest posts

Back