bad batch help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Blaine

Reaction score
Hi all been a little while since I posted, I have run into a snag.

Basically I have a case of complete separation I think it's called, the keg water was at the bottom the bottom of my batch looked rugged and white I did some googling and the best I could see on a table I found was total separation, I digress, it advised me to remelt the batch which I did but it came out lumpy and stodgy, so the website said to make sure I have the same liquids as before, so I figured it needed more lye water so I've re-added that to the batch........ BUT! Even after blending with a stick blender it's still lumpy and stodgy so I guess my re-batching attempt is wrong and poor way of managing it. This is the first bad batch I've had so far so I'm a little unsure how to handle it, any advise would be great.

Thanks for reading all I'd really appreciate the help on this one

Wait wait - you added lye water to melt and pour? Or you added the same amount of water and lye again to a separated batch? What is keg water?

I'm so confused...

Sorry that's meant to be lye water, I'm on my phone, must of flipped it or something.

Ok I had bad batch lye water is at the bottom of the mould,

I poured out the lye water and melted the soap, once it was come felt melted down again it was like a thick cream, I then used the web page I found and added more lye water to that batch, which now is lumpy and stodgy.

I think I screwed up, I don't know where I went wrong it now looks like this ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402426126.808360.jpg

Added same amount of water and lye to separated batch, I'm not even sure if this is the right posting in the right area of the forum

If it separated, you should have rebatched it using the lye water that had collected, rather than throwing that out and trying to add back fresh lye water, because some of the lye would have reacted with the oils, and you would not get the right ratios.

To be honest, I have no experience with that kind of rebatching, but I do know that altering the original recipe generally is not a good option. I would expect the batch is now lye-heavy, and probably not salvageable, but someone with more experience will have to confirm that opinion.

You could have added more water, with no additional lye, assuming that your first recipe was calculated properly and was correct, and that the separation was caused by another problem like not reaching trace before pouring. Can you post your recipe? Have you used it before, and did it work properly? Did you change something?

Last edited:
If you post this in the CP forum you might get more advice. It's in the melt-and-pour forum right now.

It looks like that soap has "seized". If that is the case you can stir, stir and stir. This will sometimes reverse it but if it does not you would have needed to rebatch it. It will be too lye heavy now I suspect. It has happened to all of us. :(

I am sorry for the trouble you had with your batch:( but I agree with the other posts, this looks like a CP soap batch and it's posted to MP forum! You may get more information and help if you post this there.

Just in case you are having trouble doing that, just send a personal message to one of the administrators and they will be able to help!

Good luck rebatching!

Stirring it would have worked before the separated lye, but won't work now. I am nearly 100% sure the soap is now likely to be lye heavy in a dangerous way, based on the description of pouring off the separated liquid and adding more lye. I'm no expert, but I don't think it is salvageable any more.

Latest posts

Back