Back to Swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've ITP'ed myself into the ground so I went back to swirling and swirl patterns. It appears I was in a deco mood! Some of the colors are better now with some air but I was happy with my few bars of each. I will have to try them in a bigger slab mold to see what happens.

Two are scented with litsea, Lime, and Kumquat, the other with Lav and Green Tea. My other Lav one got kind of muddled looking and didn't come out that well.

Screen shot 2015-02-24 at 8.43.16 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2015-02-24 at 8.43.23 PM.jpg

Very nice! Your scent combos sound amazing and I can't decide which of the top swirls I like best. Do you have pics of the cross-section yet? I want to know what's lurking under the surface . . .

I feel I will disappoint! These are face up bars, essentially mini-slabs. The colors do go all the way through and you can see the patterns on the backs and all but they aren't any different inside. At least we can see what the pattern is (all of one inch high) on the sides....maybe.

I was very surprised how well they swirled because the soap was very thick, except for in one. In that one I had to sit and wait for a little thicker trace but the other ones, I was working as fast as I could and ended up using my (gloved) finger to scoop the colors out and try to plop the batter in the right place. Banged the mold on the counter to try to get it smoothish and then swirled. I was really shocked that they turned out well. I think I ended up using close to 5% FO which can make a big difference for acceleration. I've been trying to shoot for 2-3% but with these batches being smaller, I think I messed up. At any rate, it worked out in all but one.

I'm going to try keeping the colors and the layout the same and try different patterns so I can compare what happens in the swirl and see where the colors go. Using the bottom of this mold, I get 3-4 bars so I won't drown in soap while I mess around. I must have 50 bars from each of the challenges and then more from other things I wanted to try. I need to unload and then find a way to experiment without producing masses of bars. Oh, for a 4-5 bar upright mold!

Beautiful swirls! I too would love to see the inside. Most of my soaps have black in them as well. Love the contrast!

I LOVE this! The colors are great together and the design is perfect in my opinion! Great job!

Is this what you guys wanted to see? It seems a little anticlimactic, since there is not a special swirl inside or anything.

Thank you all for the nice words!

Screen shot 2015-02-25 at 9.42.16 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-02-25 at 9.42.26 PM.jpg

I don't think thats anticlimactic at all! Very impressive soap inside and out. I love it! It reminds me of watercolors and tie-dye.

I love, love, love the swirls and the colours. The inside is great too. If I could swirl like that I would be so happy! OMG if you want to offload a few bars to the UK, I'd pay the postage!! :lol: I'm sure everyone on the forum would help you offload your soaps, purely to help you out of course!

Back