Avocado, hemp soap recipe help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3087745/Castor bean contains ricin a very potent toxin, the oil is also not recommended by doctors due to overdose risk.
Palm oil isn't toxic but it's problematic as palm oil farming leads to much of our deforestation. I avoid it in life in general.
We are not recommending taking it orally, but using it in soap. You wouldn't take essential oils orally; but they are OK if used in the recommended % in soap and bath & body products. Either way, it is up to you, what you choose to include in your recipe for soap.:)

We are not recommending taking it orally, but using it in soap. You wouldn't take essential oils orally; but they are OK if used in the recommended % in soap and bath & body products. Either way, it is up to you, what you choose to include in your recipe for soap.:)
Somebody asked why I say it's toxic. The oil doesn't have ricin but is still toxic in large doses. I have animals and choose to avoid having toxic items around. That's just my choice. I am not sure why this thread turned into that whole argument simply for me explaining my choice for not using those ingredients. Someone asked I answered their question, I don't prefer to have toxic or problematic oils in my soaps which is what I was trying to accomplish with this recipe. Super thankful to the help I have recieved as I think I have it in a good spot. Gonna test a couple of the varieties discussed above and test and see. Also cooking up a shampoo bar recipe :) all just an experiment in the end.

Yeah im going to use the percents to calculate the ounces It's just the screenshots to keep it all in one view on this app say the grams not the percents. Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the help.
That happens! Just be sure to change the app setting to ounces before you measure anything - I'm sure you know it is not a one-for-one swap with grams and ounces.

I am not sure why this thread turned into that whole argument simply for me explaining my choice for not using those ingredients.
Members were looking for more information to get the full picture. Keep in mind, your posts are not private and will be read by many for many years to come. The members were ensuring that all of the information is given so that other members have the understanding to not panic when they read "castor oil is toxic". I appreciate your concern for storing an ingredient that may be toxic if accidentally ingested by pets in your home. Please appreciate the other members for assuring many soapmakers that castor oil in soap does not make their soap toxic to use as directed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3087745/Castor bean contains ricin a very potent toxin, the oil is also not recommended by doctors due to overdose risk.
Palm oil isn't toxic but it's problematic as palm oil farming leads to much of our deforestation. I avoid it in life in general.

I do a great deal of research when it comes to plant extracts of various types, using books & publications which go back hundreds of years, as well as more modern books, and have been formulating plant-based products for decades. I grew up learning from my grandmothers, aunties etc. I'm traditionally & independently educated in this 'field'. All of the colorants, oils, butters etc I use in my products, soap & skin care, are all derived from plants. I make my own medicine, which my family members also use. We've been doing this for hundreds of years without even ONE death or incident of poisoning due to the utilization of plants as our main 'treatment' method when it comes to any illness or injury. Pharmaceutical companies WISH they had this type of safety record.

There have never been any reliable reports in relation to castor oil causing poisoning of anybody in all of its long history of use.

Castor oil is NOT toxic. It has been used internally & externally for a very long time. It is also specifically used for healing by utilizing castor oil in what are known as castor oil packs, which are highly effective.

The only risk of any toxicity in castor oil is from the hexane used to press it, if any hexane remains behind in the oil. Hexane is some nasty stuff. The solution to avoiding hexane is buying the 'hexane free' type of castor oil.

Doctors often don't know much of anything, especially when it comes to skin, or any type of natural substance. They have zero education in natural substances, especially those coming from plants.

Any doctor speaking of potential 'overdose' of castor oil is an idiot 😂 A person would either 💩 their pants or 🤮 their cookies long before they could possibly reach any type of toxic level of ingesting castor oil, and even then, they'd simply have a smelly mess in their pants or on their carpets. Horrible to clean up, yes, but 'dangerous'? 😂

Somebody asked why I say it's toxic. The oil doesn't have ricin but is still toxic in large doses. I have animals and choose to avoid having toxic items around. That's just my choice. I am not sure why this thread turned into that whole argument simply for me explaining my choice for not using those ingredients. Someone asked I answered their question, I don't prefer to have toxic or problematic oils in my soaps which is what I was trying to accomplish with this recipe. Super thankful to the help I have recieved as I think I have it in a good spot. Gonna test a couple of the varieties discussed above and test and see. Also cooking up a shampoo bar recipe :) all just an experiment in the end.
LOL, I guess it is good you do not live in So Cal, Castor plants are practically wild plants around here!! Also, remember the properties of oil once it is saponified into soap does not retain the same properties as the original oil. Aside from that my favorite bubble enhancer is Sorbitol. I have used up to 20% hemp oil in my hemp soap with no issues. I would use Sodium Gluconate instead of ROE for a chelator, although I prefer 5050 EDTA Sodium Gluconate/EDTA at 0.5% of batch weight each to cut soap scum and deter DOS. I have 3 large crates of soap some older than 2020 manufacture dates that have not formed DOS. I happen to love Castor Oil even in lip balm.

Hello, doctor here. I understand your concerns about castor oil but rest assured ricin is not included in castor oil and castor oil is not toxic. Consuming too much can cause GI upset though as it does work as a laxative. It is the castor bean that is toxic as it still contains ricin. There is no recommendation by any medical board that advises against the oral consumption of castor oil or its use in products. As far as being toxic to animals, I have no knowledge of that as I am not a vet.

Coconut oil is actually a very problematic oil if you are worried about deforestation and extinctions. It has an ever greater impact than palm oil in terms of native plants and animals going extinct. Avocado is also problematic. Heck, most of the oils we use aid in deforestation. It can give you a headache trying to find low impact oils. Hemp oil is a good low impact oil. Canola oil is too.

I just want you to be informed as knowledge is power and can help you with your decision making process when choosing what you want in your soap.

Last edited:
Coconut oil is actually a very problematic oil if you are worried deforestation and extinctions. It has an ever greater impact than palm oil in terms of native plants and animals going extinct. Avocado is also problematic. Heck, most of the oils we use aid in deforestation. It can give you a headache trying to find low impact oils. Hemp oil is a good low impact oil.

Hemp is one of the answers we have had staring us in the face for multiple generations, as well as bamboo. In fact, hemp used to be a widely grown crop in North America. Then it was designated public enemy #1 due to reasons of greed / political / societal manipulation.

Canola oil is too.

Canola also has a lot of issues associated with it. Environmental factors related to GMOs / glyphosate etc, which tie directly into our health & the health of every living thing on the planet.

And yes, as your user name says, 'aliens' ARE real 😂 Dead serious on this count. We need to stop thinking about them as 'aliens' and simply as residents of other planets, solar systems, dimensions. They are neither our saviours or our enemies. They're our neighbours.

Hemp oil is extremely good. Fast producing plants and needs little pesticides. I hope the prices for the oil decrease so more people can use it in soap. I’ve never used it in soap, but wouldn’t mind doing so.

I wait daily for our alien overlords.

I
Hemp oil is extremely good. Fast producing plants and needs little pesticides. I hope the prices for the oil decrease so more people can use it in soap. I’ve never used it in soap, but wouldn’t mind doing so.

I wait daily for our alien overlords.
IM being told that hemp oil is not ideal for soap making as it can cause the bar to go bad, idk the official terms but I'm only using it infused with Rosemary to avoid the spotting. I want it to work as yes its a much better oil, I have tried to limit coconut oil but it is the only accessible option to harden and add Cleansing to the bar. As all oils do different things. Coconut oil is not all problematic though so we just source sustainable options, palm oil is much harder to do so with.

I

IM being told that hemp oil is not ideal for soap making as it can cause the bar to go bad, idk the official terms but I'm only using it infused with Rosemary to avoid the spotting. I want it to work as yes its a much better oil, I have tried to limit coconut oil but it is the only accessible option to harden and add Cleansing to the bar. As all oils do different things. Coconut oil is not all problematic though so we just source sustainable options, palm oil is much harder to do so with.
I’ve found palm oil from Brazil and USA, but I agree palm oil can be difficult to find sustainably. I had to really look for those. Look for RSPO palm oil. That’s more ethical as they use available land and do not cause deforestation. At least that’s what the certification says.

You can also use red palm oil which is sustainable and comes from countries in West Africa. It can turn your soap a yellow color. If you get a good quality one they typically don’t have a smell.

What other oils can you get? What are you looking for besides palm and castor oil free? Do you want it to very cleansing or gentle? Do you want lots of creamy lather or bubbles? You can add sugar to the soap to create more bubbles?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back