Are soapmakers actually closet gear junkies?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donee'

Reaction score
My name is Donee' and I am a closet gear junkie. Between lables, wrappers, measuring stuff, thermometres, things to do stuff with. Things that you just want because you absolutely cant make soap without them.............. Stirrers, swipers, moulders, shapers, cutters of all different shapes and sizes. Millions of bottles of goodies holding goodies.
Weird and wonderful boxes full of weird and wonderful spices and herb mixtures.
Whatchamacallits to do dooodads with..........
Brings out the witch in me!!!!!

Not this one. It behooves me to spend good money on organizers/containers. I'll put around the house for recyclables to reuse before thinking about purchasing something.

I'm not stuff person either. However, I've been thinking about getting this tool to clean up edges. Wonder if it can bevel too.

You big spender! Save the money and use the vegetable peeler in your kitchen drawer!! :cool:

I have an old rusty one (of course) but didn't get an even bevel with it. Looks a lil hacked at. Hence no photo. Maybe I need to practice...

I'm not stuff person either. However, I've been thinking about getting this tool to clean up edges. Wonder if it can bevel too.

uh-huh. yup. typical junkie denial ...

(i bet it can indeed bevel, also) :D

I *know* i'm a gear junkie! Already planning to check chemical supply and restaurant supply stores for what can be used for soaping. NEVERMIND that i have no place to put the soaping stuff i already have!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait - did I misunderstand what gear means? Containers to hold soaping supplies...? Then no, not a junkie; Amazon carboard gets a second life.

Soaping supplies that are mostly unessential, gadgets? Still not interested. In fact, I hate to buy something that I'm not sure I'll get good use from.

Have a $70 soap planer and beveler that is more work and time than it's worth, therefore very hesitant to try another maker's.

I have one of those - I got it a very long time ago and IMO you'd be better off getting a new vegetable peeler (don't use the rusty one - for soap or food). I think I may have used that tool to clean up the edge on M&P when I was doing that. I dug it out to use in the soap carving challenge, and I think that's all I've done with it since starting CP soap making.

I am absolutely a FO junkie. Not that I don't have plenty of gear as well. But I do try to repurpose things around the house. I have a wire cutter, a planer and I do love my silicone lined wood molds. My son made a slab splitter for me for Christmas - I'm a lucky mom!

I have one of those - I got it a very long time ago and IMO you'd be better off getting a new vegetable peeler (don't use the rusty one - for soap or food). I think I may have used that tool to clean up the edge on M&P when I was doing that. I dug it out to use in the soap carving challenge, and I think that's all I've done with it since starting CP soap making.

I am absolutely a FO junkie. Not that I don't have plenty of gear as well. But I do try to repurpose things around the house. I have a wire cutter, a planer and I do love my silicone lined wood molds. My son made a slab splitter for me for Christmas - I'm a lucky mom!

Thx dibs. My rusty peeler matches my rusty cookiesheet\soap curing tray. Which is better?
upload_2019-1-16_19-3-16.jpeg

Thx dibs. My rusty peeler matches my rusty cookiesheet\soap curing tray. Which is better?
View attachment 35146
I haven't ever used the wider type, so I'm not really too sure about that. If you get one of the thinner type peelers, I'd look for one that is stationary. Some of the move which helps with peeling potatoes, but I think not so much with soap. I have a planer/beveler, so I just use that now. It's pretty foolproof. I bought mine from Soap Making Resources, which is now out of business, but it looks like this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/592415...f=sr_gallery-1-5&organic_search_click=1&cas=1

uh-huh. yup. typical junkie denial ...

(i bet it can indeed bevel, also) :D
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And I havent even started on getting into a perfume shop.............. colour shop.......... glitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH
and I am proud to announce I am a youtube junkie as well

Last edited by a moderator:

I have this one too Carolyn but find it take quite a bit off. I use it once in awhile but it has more waste than my potato peeler. It does make a nice bevel though. I go back and forth on it. Maybe it's just me. It does make nice a nice size for shreds for another batch.

I purchased one like this elsewhere on clearance and I don't personally like it. Hard to control the trim and I find it likes to take chunks out of my soap. Maybe I just don't have a steady enough hand for this one.

I AM A GEAR, FO, EO JUNKIE! There, I’ve said it. I know I need to destash ALOT of what I have. Most of the items were purchased when I started out and bought things that I thought would be great. As I’ve settled into soap making I found that a lot of what I purchased was not what I needed. I have two multi cutters from Essential Depot that I no longer use , as well as various containers, THREE bevelers that I no longer use etc, etc. I have stopped beveling my soap as it is an added step that does not need to be done. Yes it makes it look prettier but I found it unnecessary. Note- newbies, if you start beveling, it will be hard to stop as people will now expect it. I won’t go into my FO and EO issues, I know I need intervention

Does "gear" include recycled stuff? If so I have tons lol

Saved Pringles cans, milk cartons, yogurt cups big n small, plastic milk bottles..

Saved brown paper bags, old calendar pages, photocopies of old lessons (back side is clean)..

Spoons, spatulas and knives they don't wanna use for cooking anymore.. And yes, there's an old stainless steel peeler included there that I tried for beveling, but I got irritated at the amount of time I thought I wasted so it's just there in the bottom of a recycled box from the supermarket.

Although I do have bottles and bottles of infused/infusing oils, dry herbs, powders and spices. Also a growing collection of EOs..

I was recently gifted some silicon molds that I took forever to choose (yep, chosen by me but paid for by my sis lol) because I didn't want any that I might never use. I doubt I'll be buying more.

Back