any problems wrapping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlotteda

Reaction score
I have alot of other "last minute" things to do when I go to a show.

Do any of you have any thoughts of why I shouldnt do this with my cold process soap ?

Age 4 weeks
Put in shrink wrap bands with ends open
place in cardboard box with vent holes in sides ?

Thanks
Charlotte

it seems fine, but you may have to blast with the heat gun one last time to tighten things up.

run a trial with a few bars of several different batches to see how it goes before committing a lot of soaps to it, though.

don't forget that any substantial change in your prodcedures will require you to do your homework in checking on if it makes DOS more likely. just as you wouldn't sell your initial soaps or a new recipe until you know how stable they are and are confident they won't develop DOS or other negative changes in, say, 4 months or better 6-12.

oh poop Carebear...

Do you mean that wrapping could potentially cause DOS ? I thought it was more a result of ingredients rather than cure time (air flow etc). Thanks for the tip though.... it would be just like me to wrap up 50 instead of just a few at first !

Charlotte

it probably won't cause it, but it's just one item in the mix and it's important to test your product. one part of testing is seeing how it stand up over time both in and not in your packaging.

charlotteda said:
I have alot of other "last minute" things to do when I go to a show.

Do any of you have any thoughts of why I shouldnt do this with my cold process soap ?

Age 4 weeks
Put in shrink wrap bands with ends open
place in cardboard box with vent holes in sides ?

Thanks
Charlotte

That's exactly what I do, 5 weeks at the outside. I don't put vent holes in the boxes, though since cardboard can breathe.

I use soapcalc & my water as % of oils is 34%, not the full 38% soapcalc defaults to. A lot depends on how much water was in your formula as to whether it will be dried out enough at 4 weeks to avoid more shrinkage.

I use Soap Calc also at the standard default %.

I agree that a slight shrinkage could be cured with a blast of the heat gun but I hadnt even thought about the possibility of DOS.

:)

Back