An answer to 'the LUSH question'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
I've seen this question discussed a couple of times:
'is LUSH CP?'

Well DH heads to lush today to buy me some bathbombs as an aniversary prezzie.
He hands them to me and explains how he asked the shop assisant:
"are your soaps melt and pour or CP" :shock:
the shop assistants answer:
'ummm well no most are made from a base but some of our really good quality ones are made using the CP method, and those ones are stamped saying they are of the highest quality"

I LMAO wondering what the poor assistant thought, and more so that DH had actually been paying some attention to my soap jargon!

So there you have it - our CP soaps are of a much higher quality than the ever popular, regular LUSH soap!

My youngest daughter had an opportunity to go into a Lush store last weekend. She had to call me on her cell to tell me. She was not impressed, she said the soaps all felt greasy and were really crumbly and the shapes were all really rough. The soaps she looked at were primarly made with 'rape seed" oil. Isn't that primarly canola oil? She didn't buy anything--she has been using my soaps and she just wasn't impressed with Lush. She said the lotion bars were so soft and greasy she had to wipe her hands on her jeans after touching them. Yes, the child is bias....lol.

The only time I ever went into a Lush store I was quite underwhelmed. I agree with Falldowngobump's daughter about what they looked like, and they did not smell good. Would never buy one.

In LUSHes defence - I absolutley love them. They were my inspiration to start soaping in the first place (before I realised it was M&P), I think they have made handmade cosmetics fashionable and paved the way for the likes of me.

I love their massage bars, I have been using them regualrly for over 10years now. There lotion bars too (yes they are greasy). Their bath bombs and solid bubble bars are incredible.
I love their whole concept and everything about their store, but for me its all about smell and colour and I understand others take a different approach to handmade.

Their soaps are odd shapes becuase they cut them from huge blocks that they have on the counters, they are sold by wieght.

I have however NEVER seen the so called 'higher quality' soap she mentioned (I dont think it exists), and I dont like their soap like I used to. Its expensive, and it melts in the shower within a couple of washes - but they do smell sooooo good!

A Lush addict here.
I do like my soaps better & I don't like how they seem to have secretly swapped alot of their soaps tp M&P. They r so public about everything else they do but secretly throw in M&P.
I find it hit & miss also. Sometimes you'll get Honey I Washed The Kids cut from the block & its CP. Buy it in a 3 pack with other soaps & its M&P. Annoying!!
I'd imagine keeping up with that much CP soap would eventually become a problem.... for any business. To keep it consistant in that high a volume all over the world????? Practically impossible I'd say. They probably never foresaw that issue when they started out with CP soaps.
But overall... Lush is to die for. It smells fabulous & is visually highly appealing to me. I love the rough cut soap. I might b biased though cause I cut mine the same.

I was thinking that too nattynoo - would be really hard to produce CP all over the world. I was thinking yesterday along the lines of work place saftey - with lye. and I guess the unpredictability of CP could be a nightmare especially if you had many different hands trying to replicate one bar, then theres different climates and humidity.

Seems like a near impossible feat...

I didnt realise they chopped and changed. I remember loving 'honey I washed the kids', brought it a few years back and was really dissapointed (melted) and havnt brought it since.

They do a few videos on utube showing how they make the soap - but from memory they miss out the first part and just go to the pooring, yes they are very secretive about it 8)

I use to like the smell when walking past ,but when I went in it got up my nose and made me sneeze. I've never been able to stand there and read the ingrediants as they seem to pounce on you soon as you walk in there for the hard sell and then hover.
I think they're overated and too expensive.

In my opinion - much much too expensive. But the smell is divine and the shop is cute. I asked the seller, where the soap is produced? She told me, that most of it is import from England, and the part (small) from Croatia.

This is our today - the profit makes that soap (and many other things) travels thousands kilometers.

I have a 'love and not so much love' relationship with Lush.

I love the way there shops are set up and can never walk past one. I love the smells, colours and names of their soaps. I love the way they cut random shapes and present the products.

I'm not so keen on the greasy feel ... but most of all I don't like their prices ... but I still can't resist going in and checking out all the soaps and dreaming about how I could make a soap look and smell similar!

I have never used LUSH personally, I just can't make myself pay those prices even for a treat. But I am simply not capable of walking by a soap store and not going inside. I like their presentation with the big blocks and bright colors.

I first discovered Lush when I lived out of the country and was so excited when I found one 3 hours away after I moved back to the States. I used to spend tons of money in there until I started making my own products. The one thing I still purchase, on the rare occasion, are Karma bubble bars. The one Karma FO I've tried smells nothing like Lush's Karma to me even though people rave over it. If I could find a close copy of Karma I'd be totally weaned! ;)

Lush soap does melt too quickly, but their scents are very strong and I love the presentation.

Also I love the strawberry massage bars... the smell is amazing. but I have never made or used a lotion bar that I liked the feel of, they are all greasy to me. as they should be. they are oil. lol.

Back