Amount of FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyna

Reaction score
I have two questions about FO in melt & pour. First, I've always read that you should use 1/2 oz FO per pound. I was just wondering if anyone uses more? I want it strongly scented, but I've never heard of using more than that. What would happen if you did?

Also, along the same lines, I want to cut up some of my bars that didn't make it in my FO testing for CP. They weren't strongly scented enough. So I'd like to cut them up and use them in MP. I was thinking I'd need to add enough FO to the MP to compensate for the lack of scent in the CP. But worry the MP would be overscented and something funny might happen. Any advice?

Thanks so much!!

Most suppiers list the maxium percent in which each fragrance can be used in products. Check with the supplier. I would not overscent the M&P to compensate for the cp embeds.

EO versers FO

So FO does work in CP then? Is there a site that you would recommend? There are allot of them and I didn't know about quality of the products and how long the scent will last? I am under the impression thou I could be wrong that the scent when using FO doesn't last that long....... Is that true? Sorry for all the questions but am a newb :)

Here are a few of the suppliers that I've used that I like:

Bramble Berry
Nature's Garden
Pure Fragrance Oils
Peak

there are more out there, and some of them are not so good for using in CP soaps (because they cut the fragrance with a carrier oil that does not react well in saponification) but can be quite fine using in MP as long as they are skin safe.

Most suppiers list the maxium percent in which each fragrance can be used in products. Check with the supplier. I would not overscent the M&P to compensate for the cp embeds.

Good point! I should have thought of checking with the supplier of the base. Thanks!

Good point! I should have thought of checking with the supplier of the base. Thanks!

Wait, I may have read you wrong. Did you mean check with the supplier of the fragrance or the base? I know the max. amount of fragrance on most of mine is more than 1/2 oz pp base.

I mean to check with the supplier on the maxium amount to be used with the fragrance oil. For instance, Wholesale Supplies Plus lists the maxium amount of the fragrance oil to be used with each product, m&p, cp soap, lotions & scrubs. It is listed under the "directions" tab with each fragrance oil listing. Here is an example:

http://tinyurl.com/czjybv3

So FO does work in CP then? Is there a site that you would recommend? There are allot of them and I didn't know about quality of the products and how long the scent will last? I am under the impression thou I could be wrong that the scent when using FO doesn't last that long....... Is that true? Sorry for all the questions but am a newb :)

that is not true. Most FO's are formulated specifically for these type of products. I have soap that is close to 10 years old that still smells as strongly as it did once it was fully cured.
There are many reputable FO suppliers.

some of them are not so good for using in CP soaps (because they cut the fragrance with a carrier oil that does not react well in saponification)

No reputable supplier that I know of cuts their fragrance oils with carrier oils. Since FOs are all or in part synthetics, some simply do not hold up well to the alkalinity of CP soap, but not because they are "cut". Most suppliers will tell you how they perform in CP as well as other products.

I suggest the soap scent review board http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/index.php?sid=fb5b60d627e76eab96809774f3aa9fe2 there are thousands of reviews for fragrances from nearly every supplier.

If the fragrance isn't strong enough for you, you may be able to increase it to the maximum recommended amount, but also remember that once you have been smelling it all day (or longer) you may become desensitized to it and it may still be plenty strong to someone else!

there are more out there, and some of them are not so good for using in CP soaps (because they cut the fragrance with a carrier oil that does not react well in saponification) but can be quite fine using in MP as long as they are skin safe.

If this is the case they are probably labeled as not skin safe to begin with, or are being sold by unreputable companies. I have never bought an FO that has been cut with carrier oils.

Latest posts

Back