Alkanet root experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I wanted to see just how purple I could get ZNSCS (Zany's no slime castile soap) as well as how it turn out if I used sea water aquarium salt water as well as how 3 different fragrance oils would perform at 5% usage rate.

I infused 1.46oz of Alkanet root powder into 15 ounces of olive oil using an Anova sous vide machine programmed from 150°F for 2 hours.

Mixed up the faux sea water. Froze it. Then added the lye.

When I combined the lye water and the oil it was black. So I stick blended expecting it to change color or lighten up and it never did. Then I realized I was at thick Trace🤦🏿‍♂️

1000025709.jpg

Ended up with blue soap so far🤯

And the neroli fragrance oil is potent.
The oatmeal milk and honey is not.
The sandalwood fragrance oil is nice and mellow.

I was able to unmold them after 2.5 hours.

62d9349e-338b-461e-bfe5-97c61939b4ef-1_all_80442.jpg

Hi there,

You have blue soap because you poured at a cold temperature. In my experience this should slowly change towards purple. I would suggest taking photos over the next 2 - 3 weeks as the change is quite gradual and its best to look at in photos.

Its not easy to get blue so Congratulations! Plant Magic at its best! My favorite part of soaping - plants - you just never quite know what you might get - best fun ever

Hi there,

You have blue soap because you poured at a cold temperature.

That's so cool. The lye was around 90°F and the olive oil 73.
In my experience this should slowly change towards purple. I would suggest taking photos over the next 2 - 3 weeks as the change is quite gradual and its best to look at in photos.

That's the plan. I'm hoping for a really dark purple at some point🤞🏿

Its not easy to get blue so Congratulations!

Thanks. I'm hiding the back of the soaps cause I didn't smoosh em in the molds all the way so the backs are... Incomplete😁

Plant Magic at its best! My favorite part of soaping - plants - you just never quite know what you might get - best fun ever

It is!

Even though it is not the color you intended it looks pretty cool!
I was mesmerized by the inky black in the jug. One of the reasons I blew pass thin trace...

That's so cool. The lye was around 90°F and the olive oil 73.

That's the plan. I'm hoping for a really dark purple at some point🤞🏿

Thanks. I'm hiding the back of the soaps cause I didn't smoosh em in the molds all the way so the backs are... Incomplete😁

It is!

I was mesmerized by the inky black in the jug. One of the reasons I blew pass thin trace...
So easy to be mesmerized by plants in soap. I know believe me and I completely understand how you felt! You will get dark purple, keep at it but there is a point where it can lather purple and also where it borders on black and well then you lose that purple that is so tempting!

Keep going and I look forward to seeing your journey!

Such a pretty deep purple! And I’d be thrilled about purple lather too, as long as it’s not staining anything. I haven’t used enough alkanet soap to know if it’ll do that.
Stay tuned! We'll all learn together from this experiment😁

The little sliver has gone purple. The bars remain blueish though...
1000025836.jpg

1000025842.jpg

Started a new experiment. 3.5% Alkanet root infused castor oil and 7%. Two 14 ounce bricks.

View attachment 77251

2.1oz Alkanet root infused into ~30oz of castor oil using Anova sous vide at 152° for 7 hours.
always wait the full 7 days with alkanet so that you can see what the maximum color it gives will be before you go up in strength of infusion/amount used or down. Its a tricky thing and takes time to get to its full morph.

always wait the full 7 days with alkanet so that you can see what the maximum color it gives will be before you go up in strength of infusion/amount used or down. Its a tricky thing and takes time to get to its full morph.
Thanks for the advice.

The first experiment taught me that a deep purple is possible. This time around I wanted to see the effects of a longer infusion with a smaller amount of powder.

I just read your article about purple colorants. There will be gromwell root in my future...

Edit: added in the link to the article

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back