Airport Knitting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to do an oddball trip this weekend, where I'll be flying from North Carolina to Massachusetts, then driving to New Hampshire, staying overnight, attending a family party, driving back to Massachusetts, flying to southern Florida, hanging around an airport for seven hours, then finally flying back to North Carolina. Of course, I'm bringing an audiobook, a paper book of poetry, and ...a small knitting project! I haven't done a ton of knitting lately because of tendonitis in both elbows, but I'm hoping I can knit for a few hours while waiting for flights, so I'm casting on a pair of fingerless mitts (wrist warmers) from a pattern that was in my queue on Ravelry for 10 years. I'll try to post some photos once I make progress.

I have to do an oddball trip this weekend, where I'll be flying from North Carolina to Massachusetts, then driving to New Hampshire, staying overnight, attending a family party, driving back to Massachusetts, flying to southern Florida, hanging around an airport for seven hours, then finally flying back to North Carolina. Of course, I'm bringing an audiobook, a paper book of poetry, and ...a small knitting project! I haven't done a ton of knitting lately because of tendonitis in both elbows, but I'm hoping I can knit for a few hours while waiting for flights, so I'm casting on a pair of fingerless mitts (wrist warmers) from a pattern that was in my queue on Ravelry for 10 years. I'll try to post some photos once I make progress.
Small projects are the BEST! When we went on our vacation to Vancouver Island, I took along a couple of balls of sock yarn and turned them into bandana scarves, knitting whenver had the chance (ferry, lots of driving, at my daughter's while watching tv, etc.). I blocked them when I got home, just need to weave in ends and maybe make a couple of tassels for the points. Hooray for small projects!

I hope it doesn't exacerbate your tendinitis.

Thanks! I'm bringing both of my elbow braces in an effort to counteract the issue (and I've also been working to loosen my death grip on the needles!).
Oh, you're one of THOSE (death grip knitters)! I've taught knitting in the past and that was one of the most difficult things to break knitters of.

I'm a knitter too.
My wife and I do or have done a ton of fiber stuff; she's been a beader, and is an expert lacemaker (bobbin lace) as well as a crocheter, knitter, tatter, and cloth dollmaker. I've done a lot of knitting, a bit of netting (net making) and some card weaving (aka tablet weaving). I can also make really bad yard with a drop spindle.

1692284180790.png

Oh, you're one of THOSE (death grip knitters)! I've taught knitting in the past and that was one of the most difficult things to break knitters of.
One of my best online friends is an expert lace knitter in Kansas, and he's like 'you just hold the work and needles with the tips of your fingers, with just enough grip not to let the work drop.' and I'm like... dude, yeah, I know that's the idea. It just doesn't work like that with me (I'm getting better, though).

One side effect is that you can practically use my stockinette as armor plate; extremely uniform, tight stitches! People at knitting group uniformly described my stuff as 'looking like it was machine knit,' which.... cool, I guess, but perhaps not the effect I was looking for as a hand knitter! :-D

Small projects are the BEST!

I only made one sweater with all the knitting I did back in the day; almost my whole output was little projects; socks, gloves, mittens, fingerless gloves, and stocking caps/toques.

My wife and I do or have done a ton of fiber stuff; she's been a beader, and is an expert lacemaker (bobbin lace) as well as a crocheter, knitter, tatter, and cloth dollmaker. I've done a lot of knitting, a bit of netting (net making) and some card weaving (aka tablet weaving). I can also make really bad yard with a drop spindle.

View attachment 74160
Awesome! I'm primarily a knitter but have also crocheted a lot (doilies mostly), and a lot of other crafts.

EEE I love your card weaving! I've got a number of card weavings going on here. What knitting needles do you use? For me I find I can be more comfortable using circular needles instead of straight needles. Let the weight of the project sit in your lap and have more ability to prop arms.

EEE I love your card weaving! I've got a number of card weavings going on here. What knitting needles do you use? For me I find I can be more comfortable using circular needles instead of straight needles. Let the weight of the project sit in your lap and have more ability to prop arms.

Thanks for your kind words about my weaving; it's about time for me to get it out and start weaving again; I miss it.

As for needles, I'm a huge fan of Addi Turbo circs, but I also like well made wooden-tipped circs. For my glove knitting I have a fabulous set of DPNs that go down to size 0 and are only 4" long; perfect for work on fingers, and I use 8" bamboo DPNs when I'm not knitting in the round with Addis.

Many years ago - I knitted my way across the USA. I took a bunch of NZ natural wool (un-dyed - cream, black, and a combo spin of black and cream). I knitted sweaters and sold them for $US200 each. It helped to fund my travels.
Then at one point a few years later - they stopped allowing knitting needles on the plane. It was before 9/11 I'm pretty sure, but I might be wrong about that. It was the same time they disallowed real cutlery, liquids over 50g etc.
So my warning is - make sure that they now allow knitting needles on the plane otherwise you're stuck with the checked baggage already gone, and disallowed knitting needles on your person ( into the bin they go....)

Many years ago - I knitted my way across the USA. I took a bunch of NZ natural wool (un-dyed - cream, black, and a combo spin of black and cream). I knitted sweaters and sold them for $US200 each. It helped to fund my travels.
Then at one point a few years later - they stopped allowing knitting needles on the plane. It was before 9/11 I'm pretty sure, but I might be wrong about that. It was the same time they disallowed real cutlery, liquids over 50g etc.
So my warning is - make sure that they now allow knitting needles on the plane otherwise you're stuck with the checked baggage already gone, and disallowed knitting needles on your person ( into the bin they go....)
I'll double check with the TSA and the airline; last time I flew there were no problems with the bamboo needles I brought with me (I'd never take anything I couldn't stand to lose) but it has been 8 years since I was last on a plane...

I always take my crochet with me when going to doctors appointments, they are never on time, so I think that time can be used to my advantage. I've tried crocheting in the car, but it makes me dizzy with my head down and it annoys dh as he's driving. I also knit, but mostly crochet lately as it's quicker and I get more done. I'm currently making a hexagon cardigan in rainbow colours and have been staying up until 11.30pm as I just become engrossed in what I'm doing, but time gets away and you have to sleep.

One of my best online friends is an expert lace knitter in Kansas, and he's like 'you just hold the work and needles with the tips of your fingers, with just enough grip not to let the work drop.' and I'm like... dude, yeah, I know that's the idea. It just doesn't work like that with me (I'm getting better, though).

One side effect is that you can practically use my stockinette as armor plate; extremely uniform, tight stitches! People at knitting group uniformly described my stuff as 'looking like it was machine knit,' which.... cool, I guess, but perhaps not the effect I was looking for as a hand knitter! :-D

I only made one sweater with all the knitting I did back in the day; almost my whole output was little projects; socks, gloves, mittens, fingerless gloves, and stocking caps/toques.
To help with tight knitting, go to a larger needle size.

In addition to needle knitting, I loom knit (not to be confused with weaving), crochet, cross-stitch, embroider.

Knitting needles are allowed, but in reality it's up to the individual TSA agent which is why I won't fly with my ChiaoGoo even if I check my luggage...way too much money invested in them.

I'll double check with the TSA and the airline; last time I flew there were no problems with the bamboo needles I brought with me (I'd never take anything I couldn't stand to lose) but it has been 8 years since I was last on a plane...
There's always finger knitting 🤷🏼‍♀️ or so I've heard. I'm not into the needle stitch crafts, I prefer macrame, which I just rediscovered (used to mess around with it as a kid). I like the smaller projects, keychain/car mirror decor sizes, keeps my hands & mind busy when my body just refuses to do anything 🥴

I'm so jealous that you can just take your hobby with you to the airport! Best I found so far to distract me during flights was to play Stardew Valley which i can surprisingly do for 6 hours straight.

Latest posts

Back