Adding Sugar to Lye Water....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layserbrat

Reaction score
what exactly is the purpose? I see a few threads here that touch on it but I don't understand the purpose. Can someone help me understand why and what it does to the soap? Thanks in advance!

I use 1 tsp. ppo. and add it to my distilled water, then stir until dissolved before adding the lye. If you add the sugar directly to lye water, you run the risk of it solidifying on the bottom of the container. I might try the 1 TBSP ppo next time though.

I use 1 tsp. ppo. and add it to my distilled water, then stir until dissolved before adding the lye. If you add the sugar directly to lye water, you run the risk of it solidifying on the bottom of the container. I might try the 1 TBSP ppo next time though.

Yeah, I dissolve it in water first too. I tried just adding it directly to my lye water the first time I tried it. It finally dissolved after about a half hour or me messing with it, so I now dissolve it in water first. LOL :)

I stirred a cup of it into my 3lb batch at trace and I have to say, I love that soap! It's lather is sooo nice and it feels really silky. I thought it would be scrubbie, but it's not. I let the soap gel and all of the sugar melted. I was really surprised at how it turned out.

...a cup of it into my 3lb batch at trace...

Wow, that's a lot more than 1 tablespoon per pound of oils! It's nice to know that this much sugar can work in a soap recipe. Did it get especially hot or was that not an issue?

I stirred a cup of it into my 3lb batch at trace and I have to say, I love that soap! It's lather is sooo nice and it feels really silky. I thought it would be scrubbie, but it's not. I let the soap gel and all of the sugar melted. I was really surprised at how it turned out.

I tried that with large grain turbinado sugar and my soap got weepy around the grains of sugar. This finally disappeared, but I haven't tried it since.

Wow, that's a lot more than 1 tablespoon per pound of oils! It's nice to know that this much sugar can work in a soap recipe. Did it get especially hot or was that not an issue?

No, no issues other than it's a little sticky, but not so sticky that it makes a difference. I'd say it's like how a sucker is sticky right out of the wrapper.

It lasted a long time. Didn't melt (though it was not kept actually in the shower), no weeping and I don't remember it overheating, but there are no signs of that, so I'd say no. It's been humid here too, 70% average and still no troubles.

Also, it was just regular sugar.

Latest posts

Back