Adding moisturizing properties to shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitreds

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been playing with different recipes on a shaving soap. I finally have one that I find is great. The end result is a moisturized face feeling that lasts, but it comes at the price of having tightening skin. I'm unfortunately one of those who went with ingredients that I knew would be of benefit, based on existing recipes, rather than looking at the science. I will learn the science, but I would like to take apart what truly works as a shaving soap in order to understand why it works.

As far humectants, is skin tightening an indication of not having enough, where I need to add more of it? Or, any suggestions on ingredients to add after trace in order to compensate?

Hi all,

I have been playing with different recipes on a shaving soap. I finally have one that I find is great. The end result is a moisturized face feeling that lasts, but it comes at the price of having tightening skin. I'm unfortunately one of those who went with ingredients that I knew would be of benefit, based on existing recipes, rather than looking at the science. I will learn the science, but I would like to take apart what truly works as a shaving soap in order to understand why it works.

As far humectants, is skin tightening an indication of not having enough, where I need to add more of it? Or, any suggestions on ingredients to add after trace in order to compensate?
A "moisturized face feeling that lasts" and skin tightening sort of contradict each other. Are you making a dual lye shave soap with a high stearic content? There are many (like, so many) threads on here about different types of shave soaps and different recipes.

Hi all,

Well, what is the recipe? I can't tell you where you might be able to make changes if I don't know what you currently do. And make the recipe as complete as possible, please.

I agree with TEG. Your recipe would help to troubleshoot. I make a shaving soap that doesn’t leave the skin tight. However, moisturizing in a soap is subjective. I don’t think soap is moisturizing but less cleansing.
In general I agree, but I've stopped washing my shaving soap off and havn taken to wiping it off. This tends to leave small amounts on the skin which leaves it feeling better than when I washed it off

Latest posts

Back