Adding extra water to HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiegirl

Reaction score
Been loving up on HP soap lately.
But I have a couple of questions.
Would adding additional distilled water to HP soap after the cook cause any problems? Like DOS or something? Or would it simply just take longer to cure? Can you forsee any issues?
I'm probably just over thinking it but thought it best to ask.
Also,
Does adding glycerine make it easier to pour or is it just a myth?

If you incorporate the water very well, I see no problems. Ideally you want to add your water earlier, because it's easier to mix in if the soap is softer.

I believe there is a relationship between humidity and DOS, but the extra water will evaporate anyway during the cure, so again I see no problem.

Pourable also depends a lot on the water contents, however I did try sugar and glycerine once. The result was was smoother, and also the soap stayed soft for longer time (even couple of days later, you could feel the difference).

Maybe you can add the extra water, with sugar and glycerine dissolved.

adding extra water will add to the time to reach the desired hardness, and can also cause your bars to warp in quite interesting yet mostly unattractive ways during the cure.

i've never added glycerin - it might work but could cause issues with the soap being sticky and sweat-prone.

many use sodium lactate to keep the hot HP soap fluid.

Thankyou so much for your replies. I really appreciate it. :D
I've been whipping the soap up at the end & it works really good if I add extra water but I don't want to add something that is going to be bad (dos prone) for my soap in the long run.
It has taken a bit longer to cure them than regular HP bars.
I know with CP it just adds to the cure but wasn't sure with it being HP & saponification had already occurred.
Thanks for the sodium lactate tip Carebear. :D

Back