A question about Sunflower oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skatergirl46

Soaper on wheels
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at my local market picking up some more lard when I saw Sunflower oil at a good price. I bought a bottle to try in my soap. I have never used it before. Soap Calc. lists two different Sunflower oils. How do I know if what I have is high oleic?

.....and a second question: What do you think that Sunflower oil does for your soap?

Hello Skatergirl, This Wiki describes the difference in polyunsaturated fats, which is the "tell" on what you have
Both Varieties are very nice on the skin, regular SO being high in Linoleic, and the other being high in Oleic. I think Linoleic & Linolenic are under-rated in Soap-making. If using regular SO recommend using ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) to help prevent DOS and/or only using 10% in a recipe. Each of the Hi Ole and Hi Linoleic SO has the same SAP so no issue with using the right amount of lye. The SO that I saw at WM was a blend, yours maybe as well. HTH Roy

I've never tried sunflower oil in soap but I use it in body butters and creams and it's great

I adore sunflower oil! It's a light-coloured oil, it's a slow tracer, it's cheap and it's good for the skin. It's also one of the few oils I can buy locally. I use it in most of my soap recipes, but I also don't go above 10% and I use ROE, too. It's also brilliant for making salves and such as it's so easily absorbed by the skin.

You can perhaps see if the Sunflower oil you have is high oleic, by checking the label. If the monounsaturated fat level is much higher than the polyunsaturated, then it's high oleic.

I adore sunflower oil! It's a light-coloured oil, it's a slow tracer, it's cheap and it's good for the skin. It's also one of the few oils I can buy locally. I use it in most of my soap recipes, but I also don't go above 10% and I use ROE, too. It's also brilliant for making salves and such as it's so easily absorbed by the skin.

You can perhaps see if the Sunflower oil you have is high oleic, by checking the label. If the monounsaturated fat level is much higher than the polyunsaturated, then it's high oleic.

Thank you!

I adore sunflower oil and use both high oleic and regular, depending if my supplier has a deal going on with the high. I always add a roe to my 5 gallon jugs when I bring them home. I infuse carrots in sunflower and it makes a very nice carrot oil

Latest posts

Back