A good bar??? 165 INS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a previous trial with a recipe, but it wasn't the best. Please let me know what you think about this recipe using the 33/33/33 method. Thanks! :)
IMG_7989.jpg

Regarding the "holy trinity" (CO, OO, Palm), they are a great starting mix for beginners, but you don't have to be tied to even splits of each. Or to try to max out the INS. What works for you and the people you make soap for is going to depend on your skin and theirs.

For many people, including me, 31% CO (which is what makes the cleansing number in your recipe so high) would be way too drying. The INS numbers are supposed to be guidelines, I don't think I know anyone whose favorite recipe hits a ""perfect" 165 because their choices of oils drop the INS number, but those choices are perfect for *them* and a soap with a 165 INS score would not be.

Firstly, if you're using the cold process method you will need to change your lye concentration to 33% ( don't use the water as a percent of oils setting).
I have never used palm, but I think you can probably increase the amount to 40%, and for the OO to 35%, decrease the CO to 20% and then 5% castor will make 100%.
Palm users - is palm ok at 40%?

Regarding the "holy trinity" (CO, OO, Palm), they are a great starting mix for beginners, but you don't have to be tied to even splits of each. Or to try to max out the INS. What works for you and the people you make soap for is going to depend on your skin and theirs.

For many people, including me, 31% CO (which is what makes the cleansing number in your recipe so high) would be way too drying. The INS numbers are supposed to be guidelines, I don't think I know anyone whose favorite recipe hits a ""perfect" 165 because their choices of oils drop the INS number, but those choices are perfect for *them* and a soap with a 165 INS score would not be.
Thank you!

Thank you!

I would also chime in to say that the INS number has very minimal importance when designing a soap recipe. Many well-loved recipes have terrible INS numbers, including:

~ 100% olive oil (castille)
~ 80% OO and 20% CO (bastille)
~ 80% lard and 20% CO

Really, it is much better to focus on the fatty acid profile of your recipe, although even that doesn't tell the whole story. Again, all the recipes listed above have "unbalanced" FA ratios, but people still love them.

I recommend finding out what types of soap your skin loves, and make that. :)

INS was a single-number value created in the early 1900s to help commercial manufacturers design recipes for soap that saponifies quickly, is physically hard in the mold, and has a reasonably long shelf life.

Like the other commenters here, I don't pay any attention to INS (or Iodine Number) when designing my soap recipes. But if you want to use it, be realistic about what it is telling you. INS attempts to encompass a huge range of soap properties into one single number.

The INS target of 160 to maybe 165 is sometimes touted as the "ideal" for soap, but I really disagree with that. The only way to get a recipe with an INS value of 165 is to use a generous amount coconut oil or other "cleansing" fats. This tends to make the soap overly drying and even harsh to the skin.

More in my article: https://classicbells.com/soap/iodineINS.asp

~ 80% lard and 20% CO
I didn't think I was going to be trying out a new recipe today but now I am :D

I did a previous trial with a recipe, but it wasn't the best. Please let me know what you think about this recipe using the 33/33/33 method. Thanks! :)
Anyway, to the question! I recently made a similar bar (I did 32% for the trinity and then 4% castor), and I found it to be a decent bar. I'm personally finding that I prefer lard to palm, but we're all different so I would for sure recommend making a small batch of this and seeing how it works for *you* :)

I didn't think I was going to be trying out a new recipe today but now I am :D

Anyway, to the question! I recently made a similar bar (I did 32% for the trinity and then 4% castor), and I found it to be a decent bar. I'm personally finding that I prefer lard to palm, but we're all different so I would for sure recommend making a small batch of this and seeing how it works for *you* :)
When you did the trinity, did you use 32% for coconut oil as well? Was it drying?

Latest posts

Back